Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 weird problems: coolant/power steering

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 02:10 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 weird problems: coolant/power steering

Hello

I'm suffering a bit with a strange coolant problem on my 1998 v8i (130, 000km), and power steering that comes and goes at random intervals.

Let me tell you first that I'm in Saudi Arabia, it's May, and during my hour-long each way commute 5 days a week, it's about 35C (95F), so I'm running the AC on full cold at mid-strength for the duration of every journey.

Twice this week I've had coolant pouring out of the reserve tank when I switch off the engine after parking. Both times this has happened only if I haven't previously turned off the AC before turning off the engine. It absolutely pours out through the reserve tank cap.

It's not a massive problem if it's just a question of remembering to switch off the AC every time (I'll stick a reminder to the dash) - I'm just concerned that with temperatures certain to rise to an average 45-50C (113F-122F) during the peak of summer, this is going to start happening a lot more often. (And I can't even park it in a shaded space at work - car park politics, don't you just love it?)

Other problem: The power steering comes and goes as it likes. It started a few weeks ago, so I topped up the reserve tank; power came back after a couple of hours; a couple of days later it all leaked out from near the axle when I had parked with front wheels at an angle; filled it again, but power never came back, though no more leaks; then last night it suddenly came back again, only to disappear again this afternoon...

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. I would not call myself a mechanic at all, I can only understand 1 word in every 10 from the Egyptian/Yemeni mechanics here, and the only Land Rover garage is massively expensive!

Over to you...

Many thanks.

Cuffs

1998 v8i
130, 000km

Old 05-19-2010, 06:16 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could be as simple as a bad resevoir cap, or something more.

May need the cooling system flushed out.

The hoses on the power steering may need to be replaced.

I'd really suggest an interpreter friend to go with you to the LR garage.

Here in the states, we can just ask different garages, you're not that lucky.

let us know how it goes, please

luck,greg