Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 D2 dead

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 06:49 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 D2 dead

I havn't been on in a while because everything has been working good until yesterday. I was running errands around town and a couple of times my disco started missing when I was waiting for a light, but it has been sitting a lot lately so I gave myself all the gummy injectors, condensation in fuel pep talks and went on with life. About an hour ago I came up to a stop and it died, so I cranked it over and it fired right back up, and died again. That was the last gasp, it hasn't done a thing since. I am waiting for my brother to get here with the trailer so in the mean time I plugged the lap top in and scanned for codes, the only one I got was a cruise control code. I assume if the crank sensor died it would leave a code, and I also assume I should hear the fuel pump run for a couple of seconds when I turn on the key, I have neither. I took apart a pen I had laying in here and used the spring out of it to make a jumper to hot wire the terminals in the relay center for the fuel pump, all that happened is the wire got hot but the pump still didn't run. So I figure bad pump, has anyone swapped one of these, and how bad is it? D1s look like a piece of cake but I can't find any info on the D2.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:53 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Crank sensor has 5 different codes and rarely throws one when failing.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:19 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The fuel pump on a DII is just like the one on a DI, roll up the carpet in the cargo area and there is the pump access hatch.
I am thinking it is a bad crank sensor though, once the truck cools down it might start right back up, might not, depends on how bad the sensor is.
Do you still have your old engine? Swap sensors before you buy a new fuel pump and I bet she fires right up my brother.
Call me if you need/want any more help, I still owe you.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:15 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks guys, I have a spare crank sensor in the storage bin right now, I'll try swapping it and see what happens. The part that was throwing me is that I don't hear the fuel pump kick in when I turn on the key, but I don't remember ever hearing it before either so I don't know if I should be hearing it or not.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:26 PM
Three Wheeling
Default still dead

Well I found out the fuel pump will run if I hot wire it, it is just so quiet I couldnt hear it run the other day. I pulled out the crank sensor and discovered that one of the rubber plugs in the bell housing had got sucked into the flywheel and had bent the cps. When I spotted that I was sure I had found the problem so I swapped it out for a different sensor. That made no difference at all. I had checked earlier and discovered there was no spark, so after scratching my head, checking all the fuses that looked like they might be be involved, and swapping the relays around, I changed the cam sensor. All to no avail. As far as I can tell the engine is getting fuel because I get a strong gas smell at the exhaust after I crank it over, but no spark. I scanned it again and now it is showing two codes, P1590 and P1230. So, what do you guys think, those codes didn't tell me much. I'm would think coil pack but dont these type usually loose cylinders in pairs not all of them at once?
Thanks, Andy

Old 07-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Three Wheeling

After poking around a bit I assume the code P1230 is from me unplugging the fuel pump connector to check for power with the key on, and yes I am aware the other code has to do with the abs problem.