Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 D2 Questions???

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 08:43 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2000 D2 Questions???

Hello everyone,

long time leacher, first time poster

I am changing my oil today and doing so reminds me of all the little things that are wrong under my hood.

I have orange liquid(most likely anti freeze) slightly ozzing out of the hose that goes into the top of my drivers side valve cover and I hear that waterfall sound from behind my dash. I was wondering if bleeding the cooling system would fix both or does the first thing have nothing to do with that?

Also, I am having my driveshaft rebuilt right now and have been driving around with the transfer case locked and no driveshaft, its been amazing! Other than a slight click every once in a while, the moment you hit the gas, then its smooth sailing. My questions here are, is this safe and how long can you get away with this? My gas milage is better. The brake light went out, the loud clanking sound that would turn heads when I would make turns that go uphill(as if driving down the street and turning into a driveway on a deep slant, CLANG!!) all gone!

Whats your verdict on this stuff guys?

ill be posting some pics and stuff later today

Thanks

Old 10-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Fill/bleed your coolant system before you toast your engine, that is why your heater is noisy and yes, you need to get a new t/body preheater gasket kit and get that fixed "YESTERDAY".

Old 10-02-2009, 09:47 AM
8th Gear
Default yes sir

t/body preheater gasket kit - where do i get that? atlantic british?

not a new thermostat? or both..

thanks so much mike

Old 10-02-2009, 09:52 AM
8th Gear

What it looks like

Attached Thumbnails 2000 D2 Questions???-img_0308.jpg  
Old 10-02-2009, 10:36 AM
8th Gear

when i bleed the cooling system, do i need to empty out all the coolant first or can i just do it?

Also, im still in the dark on the driveshaft question

once again, thanks

Old 10-02-2009, 02:54 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Andunny, I just blocked off the coolant lines going to my throttle body when it started to leak. I think coolant to warm the intake air is not necessary if you live in a warm climate.

I got better fuel economy with my front shaft out too, mine started to make a fairly loud click when I would accel/decel. I think I drove mine about 200 miles with the front shaft out while it was being rebuilt. I wouldn't go any further than that. Some people on here says it puts too much stress on the rear diff and I kind of believe them. I think somebody on here had their rear diff go out after running without the front shaft.

you do not need to empty the coolant system to bleed it but if it has never been flushed now would be a good time to do that.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

it does put too much stress on the rear dif. i only drove 18 miles without my front shaft in. you are fixing the front shaft you don't want to have to fix the rear dif next. i say park it. the front shaft can't take longer than two days and $200 to get done at a shop...

Old 10-02-2009, 04:44 PM
8th Gear

Thanks for all the replys guys!!

OK, Oil is changed with 6 quarts valvoline 5w30 and .7 quarts lucas.

I did the coolant bleed exactley as the sticky said. Not much happened and i didnt really get that much in the resevior till i couldnt fiil it any more. I let the car idle for about 25 minutes with the heat on blast. Is this right? Havent driven it yet so i cant tell if the water behind the dash sound is gone. I will say that it was a very light sound.

Can anyone point me to a thread on flushing? i did a search but couldnt find a real step by step.

as far as my driveshaft goes, i sent it out via fedex to a place in tampa and wont get it back till friday next week. hopefully the rear diff dosent explode. i need to drive to work which is about 10 miles away from my house. the rest of the time i will keep it parked.

when the new drive shaft is in, can i keep the transfer case locked?

Last question, can i really just block off that hose thats leaking? or is that a temporary fix

new thermostat comming in the mail. SWEET!

thanx so much again guys. DIY for life!!

Old 10-02-2009, 07:22 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no, don't drive it on the road with the CDL locked and front shaft in. I blocked off my coolant hoses going to the throttle body last year and it's been fine.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:46 PM
8th Gear

Coolants bleed and staying full. Good.
Had 9 different codes pop up. Bad.

Im pretty sure all my even plugs are misfireing.
My front bank o2 sensor is out.
My idle speed sensor is...something.

questions.

What do I do first? Replace plugs and wires? (bosch & magnacor...why not bosch wires too??)

Do I need to do all the o2 sensors at the same time?

I will post the codes in the morning.

Quick Reply: 2000 D2 Questions???