Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 DII dies no restart

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 09:40 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2000 DII dies no restart

I tried to start this thread last sunday. But my dog "ate my homework" as it were. She came over and flipped her ear on my touchscreen and erased my work wholesale. So...
I had been tinkering on the truck Sunday and had my list of codes. There was a misfire code, an evap open code, a P1884 (transmission XYZ switch?) and bad cam sensor. I started with the misfire and found 3 nearly unhooked plug wires. Fixed them, checked and gapped plugs. I then started the motor and rechecked codes. misfire was gone, but other codes appeared. I was skeptical and began looking for the cam sensor as I think it may just not be plugged in tightly(did not find the sensor). I cleared the codes using my reader and turned the car off. I poked around a bit more but didn't change anything. Just looked and attempted to learn. I then started the car back up and put my code reader on a 3rd time. I got yet another list of codes. This time I got the evap, the P1884, the P0102, and the upstream O2 sensors. The truck was running well enough so I did the brilliant thing and took it for a short drive (an intended 5 to 6 miles). It got me to the exact farthest point of my little loop and died exactly (no kidding here) in front of my buddys' house where I had been planning to turn around. I had accelerated, stopped and turned both ways to get to that point so I suspected nothing and it gave no warning. It simply stopped running when I took my foot off the gas. Made no abnormal noises that I heard- radio was off, windows open. It will not start now. The flashers come on the second the key gets to "run" (which it had been doing intermittently before) and the engine seems to spin faster than it did before. I would describe it as being similar to if the motor were cranked without spark plugs (not good). I have not had time to look at it this week so its back on the trailer waiting. I have looked at a few pages in the manuals in the stickies, and I have a couple of ideas. I strongly suspect that I have more than one problem here but I don't as yet have enough knowhow. I will read more of the manuals but if anyone would like to insert a punchline I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks for the help thus far......

Old 07-03-2017, 03:12 AM
Three Wheeling

Have you tried to start it again since? 6 miles could allow for cps to warm up... could be that... If you have not tried starting it again...

The following users liked this post:
freedisco (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 09:23 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Just check all the ground. Also check connection right on the MAF sensor and clean that up for the 1884 or better yet clean you MAF.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Doesn't a fast-spinning motor (when trying to start) mean a loss of compression?

Old 07-03-2017, 12:57 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by No Doubt
Doesn't a fast-spinning motor (when trying to start) mean a loss of compression?
Loss of compression also happens when your timing chain is broken, then it wont start as well.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
Loss of compression also happens when your timing chain is broken, then it wont start as well.
Is the 4.6 V8 an interference motor where a broken timing chain is catastrophic?

Or is it instead fairly harmless for the timing chain to break?

Old 07-03-2017, 03:55 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by No Doubt
Is the 4.6 V8 an interference motor where a broken timing chain is catastrophic?

Or is it instead fairly harmless for the timing chain to break?
Mine broke but did harm the engine. I can get it started no matter what. At end, had it towed and the 1st shop told me that engine died, no compression. Towed its to another shop, this knows LR very much and told me its the timing chain. Replaced it and got it next morning with a hefty bill. So, if you know how to check compression, that is a big plus. And if you can replace timing chain, another plus. That will save you close to 2grand in repairs. Had it somewhere in this forum including the itemized bill. lol!

Old 07-03-2017, 04:00 PM
TReK
Old 07-03-2017, 05:13 PM
Three Wheeling

I tried to reply with the 1st response. Yes I will try to start it again first.
I also agree that fast spinning motor could be a Very Bad Sign. It's a 2000 4.0 motor. And as I said, it made no noise, just stopped running.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
Mine broke but did harm the engine.
No, your bill in that thread shows no internal engine damage after your timing chain broke, so we can conclude that the 4.6 V8 is a non-interference motor.

In contrast, when an interference motor has a broken timing chain, the valves in at least 2 cylinders will be impacted by the pistons at or near Top Dead Center (TDC)...so a bill for a broken timing chain on an interference motor will list everything in your bill PLUS new valves, valve liners, and sometimes even new pistons for your motor. And since you have to pull the valve covers to replace new valves, such a hypothetical bill would have included a new head gasket or at least new valve cover gaskets.

Quick Reply: 2000 DII dies no restart