Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 disco.**OVERHEATING** clicking noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 02:46 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 disco.**OVERHEATING** clicking noise

I have a 2000 disco. and the last two weeks it s been making a weird clicking , chirping noise from the engine. It started when my thermostat busted and i drove about 10 miles with it busted and no water I put a new thermostat in and it keeps making that weird chirping noise> any suggestions?

1. now my disco. OVERHEATS bad within 20 minutese of starting it up. I fill the resevoir up with water and within those 20 minutes all the water is gone and the vehicle runs SO sluggish. I ran it in my driveway to see if there were any leaks, and no leaks but it still overheated and the water disappeared.

2. I did notice some black wet stuff come out of my exhaust this morning. and it always spits black SOOT likestuff out on my driveway. FRUSTRATED >>>>>>>>>>>. please let me know what u might think it is. thanks alot

Old 08-13-2006, 11:44 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: 2000 disco.**OVERHEATING** clicking noise

If you drove it 10 miles with little or no coolant in the system you probably toasted your engine, or if you are lucky took out your head gaskets and a head or too. Have it taken to a good shop and have it checked, don't forget to bring your Anerican Express card, you are going to need it.
Mike

Old 08-14-2006, 03:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2000 disco.**OVERHEATING** clicking noise

I agree with Disco Mike. BUT-- You quite possibly have a bigger problem than just warped cylinder heads and blown head gaskets. When these engines get this hot it is quite common to have one or more cylinders liners drop in the aluminum engine block. In addition--we have replaced head gaskets and water pumps on engines where it was unclear from the customers recollection of circumstances--how hot it actually got---and it still overheated after a few minutes of highway running. These blocks can crack internally (in what are referred to as water jacket passages).

Solution in these cases?. A complete long block replacement was required. Also have the shop check the radiator for blockage while they are in there.

Best of luck. Read my tech info sections at www.eurotekapg.com for more comments.

Mike McLaughlin
eurotek apg