Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 disco 2 overheating

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok heres what I did park truck with nose up new t-stat remove bleeder valve remove radiator cap start truck and idle with defrost on hot. fill expasion tank till water starts comming out bleeder valve wait till t-stat opens and defrost get hot. put bleeder valve back top off tank put on radiator cap. My heat never even got warm and the thermastat never opened bottom radiator hose still cold shut it down before ever getting past normal on gauge but heat should have at least been warm is that the right procedure? Heat worked great when I got the truck.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You said something about waiting until defrost got hot. You should have set the heater on maximum, not defroster.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Drifting

Well I mean on had the heater on high set to the defrost instead of the vents or floor not the other optional defrost button I think is what that is never used it. The blower wasn't on high but I didn't think that would matter. The air comming out was cold and it doesn't feel like theres any circulation in the hoses water pump is spinning and the belts in good shape but I just don't think the t-stat is opening could put it in boiling water? also I crudely made my old t-stat wide open all the time if I put that in and fill the system with a funnel through the bleeder valve would that push all the air out of the bottom half of the system and when water comes out bleeder valve it should have no air although I would have to go back in and put the new t-stat in

Old 05-01-2010, 02:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thehaz
Well I mean on had the heater on high set to the defrost instead of the vents or floor not the other optional defrost button I think is what that is never used it. The blower wasn't on high but I didn't think that would matter. The air comming out was cold and it doesn't feel like theres any circulation in the hoses water pump is spinning and the belts in good shape but I just don't think the t-stat is opening could put it in boiling water? also I crudely made my old t-stat wide open all the time if I put that in and fill the system with a funnel through the bleeder valve would that push all the air out of the bottom half of the system and when water comes out bleeder valve it should have no air although I would have to go back in and put the new t-stat in
Well, not to presume you don't already know this but better to say it anyway, anytime you break into the system you need to fully bleed out any possible air bubbles. Best to ensure that you have a good thermostat and install it, then move on to the next step of diagnosis if you still have a problem.

As you have already probably guessed, you can go through a ton of money, so if you don't have the time, expertise, and necessary tools and shop manual, I recommend getting it to a reputable pro who can accurately diagnose the problem and give you an estimate to repair that you can hold him to.....

Old 05-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The "sticky's" are on the top of the Discovery page, read through ALL of them.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Drifting

Well after receiving a call from disco mike feeling a bit incompetent and frustrated learned the proper way to bleed the system. Heat came back no overheating but all my fiddling has left me with basically straight water is it a good idea to get a coolant flush at a good oil change joint or should I try to vent off some water and mix it back up myself. Thanks for all your help and I'm sure this will not be the last time you hear from me. Ready to discover something besides my garage thanx mike

Old 07-24-2010, 04:41 PM
2nd Gear
Default bleeding the cooling system

I am having similar problems. i just had my head gaskets replaced then i blew a heater hose. replaced them and nothing but over heating. i replaced the top hoses with the bleeder valve and also the expansion tank cap still over heating. i keep hearing that i have air in the line. can someone tell me exactly how i should be filling the coolant to ensure that i have all the air out? i am a novice so please barney style.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

check the sticky at the top of the page. I may take you several days to get all of the air out. I drove around for a few days with the heater going and windows down to try to circulate the air out of the heater core. Finally seemed to work. Bleeding the system is easy to do but will likely take you several days to get all of the air worked out.. Best of luck. Phil

Old 07-25-2010, 06:44 AM
2nd Gear
Default bleed cooling system

LJ thanks for replying. i don't know what you mean by the sticky at the top of the page. not familiar with it. what am i looking for?

Old 07-25-2010, 07:43 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Discovery II main page, look at the top, all the threads with the thumb pin are sticky's.

Quick Reply: 2000 disco 2 overheating