Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Disco Heated Windscreen Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 01:46 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Disco Heated Windscreen Question

Greetings all, I have searched quite a bit on the topic, and many of the posts have answered my questions. The one thing I am still unsure about with the heated windscreen is this: I have the electric cables running towards each of the A-Pillars for the Heated Windscreen, but the vehicle isnt currently equipped with the correct windshield. Does the heated windscreen come with some attachment that plugs into the connectors, or is there an additional part.

Not to make this more confusing, but after looking at Rovers North for the Switch, I am at a loss. Is the Switch for this function supposed to be located on the buttons located to the left and right of the steering wheel, or on the center console where my Fuel Tank door release is?

Again, sorry if this has been covered, but I have been doing alot of searching, and seem to be more lost than I was before. Thanks.

-Last Note: I needed to replace my key, and did some reading here. I figured it might be helpful if people are looking for the non-remote type key blank. The key blank info is: Ilco Model:X239 RV4. Should be available at a local locksmith.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:56 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, the heated windshield will plug into those sockets. The switch should be located in the center console (like you mentioned) above the rear window defrost switch. I also think there's a relay that goes into the fuse/relay box under the hood.

Eric

Old 01-24-2011, 02:09 PM
Drifting

I am also thinking of adding a heated windscreen to a non-winter equipped 04 SE. The wiring seems to all be there as there is a wired connector in the dash behind a blank switch and the 2 connectors under the hood for the windscreen. Does anyone know if the relay is also installed or would this need to be ordered before the windscreen is installed?

Thanks

Old 01-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by pennohawk
I am also thinking of adding a heated windscreen to a non-winter equipped 04 SE. The wiring seems to all be there as there is a wired connector in the dash behind a blank switch and the 2 connectors under the hood for the windscreen. Does anyone know if the relay is also installed or would this need to be ordered before the windscreen is installed?

Thanks
Doubt if its there. Look and see. Also on an '04 you will have to go to the dealer and have the BCU reprogrammed for the heated windshield to work.

Eric

Old 01-27-2011, 05:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

To fit a heated screen to a non heated screen vehicle requires:-

1. New screen obviously
2. Relay in Engine compartment fusebox
3. Switch in dash six pack
4. Heated screen Enabled in BCU (any D2 MY does not matter)

Old 01-27-2011, 08:26 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Urban Panzer
4. Heated screen Enabled in BCU (any D2 MY does not matter)
Local dealer told me that the 1999-2000 model years do not need the BCU reprogrammed. They told me I could add heated windshield and fog lights without a trip to the dealer.

Eric

Old 01-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Drifting

Thanks for all the info. Had a heated windscreen lined up for $140.00, but it broke upon removal from the dead D2, so no luck. Received the switch for above today, as well as the heated seat activation kit. Installed the seat switches, and to my surprise....they work. Not looking forward to the windscreen switch, as it looks like it's going to be a pain to install.

Doing the 60k service this weekend, and honestly, I'm nervous about it. Something ALWAYS goes wrong when I start messing around underneath a vehicle. Thanks for all the help....this site is invaluable.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SDinDS
Local dealer told me that the 1999-2000 model years do not need the BCU reprogrammed. They told me I could add heated windshield and fog lights without a trip to the dealer.

Eric
Well, I dont know your local dealer, but from my experience in dealling with them, a LOT of them don't even know the vehicles they sell well enough tbh, infact some of them are dam right useless and full of bulls***t and the fact the D2 is a non production model now, most of them have even forgotten what little they "did" know.

So what I would do is this, By your heated screen and better still foglights, and if they don't work which I'm pretty sure they wont, then get the "local" dealer to agree to switch them on for free if hes wrong..............I bet I know what the answer will be

Old 01-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Three Wheeling

Ok I've got some questions on this... I've got a heated screen, but didn't have a switch so I purchased one on ebay, and put it in today. Still no go. What is the location of the relay associated with the windscreen? ...and is there another option to get it to work other than having the BCU reprogrammed. I am over 2 hours from a dealer.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:57 PM
Winching
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd suggest trying to look for a well equipped independent mechanic who specializes in Rovers and other Euro imports.

I was going to suggest possibly calling RoverLabs to see if Trevor has the right reader/computer to reconfigure it, but they're in Elizabethtown, PA which is still 2 hours away...

Quick Reply: 2000 Disco Heated Windscreen Question