Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Disco II tranny service, transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 02:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2000 Disco II tranny service, transfer case

In your owner's manual, you will find that is states to change the tranny fluid every 30,00 miles. It also says the filter only requires changing after the first 30,000 miles and not again beyond that (which I personally have a problem with).

Other than the $98 for computer diagnostics, your bill doesn't sound TOO outrageous considering shop labor rates regardless of the brand, thoughI am suspicious of the claim regarding the computer detecting a tranny fluid change was required. However, I can't imagine what LR would have charged you - I would work on mine in the rain and snow before ever gracing the dealership again. Realistically, all repair shops inflict wallet pain IMHO. The bottom line is did you receive quality work for your money? Learning as much as you can about what is involved making the repairs beforehand, then discussing those details with the repair shop may help you save some $

Old 07-28-2007, 06:05 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that fluid/filter change apart of the 30,000 mile service??

Old 07-29-2007, 11:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First let me apologize for giving erroneous info - the service schedule information is not located in the owner's manual - it is in the Passport to Service booklet that comes with the owner's manual provided in the binder.

The schedule for the 2000 model year lists changing the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles or 24 months, whichever occurs first. The schedule lists the tranny filter for replacement at the first 30,000 mile/24month benchmark with no subsequent replacement required.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Three Wheeling

About those grease fittings on the front drive shaft - I have them on the front end of the shaft, where the U-joint is connecting the fron differential. The twin U-joints connecting the shaft to the transfer case do not have and grease fitting at all, and it doesn't look like there even is any space for them. Other than that, those twin U-joints look perfect, no visual signs of wear. Does this mean anything? Should I be looking to buy a different U-Joints kit? I'm not a mechanic by any means, so apologize for ignorance. Thanks.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:05 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

how many miles do you have on it? It is an original driveshaft and sould be re-buit to fit U-joints with fittings. If your front shaft goes, it will slap your tranny right out of the truck.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:25 PM
Three Wheeling

Well over a hundred K. Where should I look for thegrease fittings parts? In any case, in the meantime, the joints LOOKok, doesthat mean anything, or are the sign of failure usually undetectable? Is it sort of a ticking time bomb, or is it REALLY a ticking time bomb? Those two U-jointsis the part that breakes,right?

Old 08-04-2007, 03:18 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

ORIGINAL: m1943

About those grease fittings on the front drive shaft - I have them on the front end of the shaft, where the U-joint is connecting the fron differential. The twin U-joints connecting the shaft to the transfer case do not have and grease fitting at all, and it doesn't look like there even is any space for them. Other than that, those twin U-joints look perfect, no visual signs of wear. Does this mean anything? Should I be looking to buy a different U-Joints kit? I'm not a mechanic by any means, so apologize for ignorance. Thanks.
Trust me, looks won't tell you anything about the condition of the inner workings of a set of needle bearings.
If you have no grease fittings get those joints replaced because they will fail and I don't won't to come back with an " I told you so" post.
It is not at all uncommon to pay $7000 for a new tranny and a t/case repair after a failure at high way speeds.
Mike

Old 08-04-2007, 10:16 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: m1943

Well over a hundred K. Where should I look for thegrease fittings parts? In any case, in the meantime, the joints LOOKok, doesthat mean anything, or are the sign of failure usually undetectable? Is it sort of a ticking time bomb, or is it REALLY a ticking time bomb? Those two U-jointsis the part that breakes,right?
The fittings should be on those 2 U-joints. If you don't have any, replace them as soon as you can.

Old 08-05-2007, 12:20 AM
dow
Three Wheeling

the rave cd is now online

RAVE CD 1 Discovery II - Freelander '01

RAVE CD 2 Range Rover '02 - Range Rover P38 - Defender

RAVE CD 3 Discovery I - Freelander - Classic Range Rover

for everyone with broadband

p.s. - windows machines only apparently

Old 08-05-2007, 09:33 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's good information about the U-Joints. I have a whine coming from the center of the truck, the wife and I triangulated on it today. I have no idea if the Xmission filter was changed when it was supposed to at 30000, so if I was to do it would it hurt anything?

Mine has 60000 miles, if I'm getting that noise it would be a good idea to go ahead and change those U-Joints I'm guessing?

Thanks

Found these: These should fit the bill eh? http://www.motorcarsltd.com/epcstart...d=motorcarsltd

I have the rave CD, tools, and a lift at the auto craft shop on post, is this a one man DIY? Thanks again

Ok, referencing RAVE CD here: I'm seeing two universal joints, one on the front and one on rear prop shaft,each are stated to have grease nipples to lubricate the serviceable, sealed needle bearings. Thereis also a "Hookes" joint that islubricated and sealed for life, and is supposed to be connected to output shaft of the transfer case. I have no idea if this prop shaft has been lubedby whatever jokers the previous owner took this thing too, so I'm going to get under there and do it. Now, are we talking about replacing the Hookes joints witha lubricatable u-joint, is that what I'm getting the feel of? Or, is the rave CD incorrect, in that some of the universal joints show up without lubrication fittings.

Thanks again

Quick Reply: 2000 Disco II tranny service, transfer case