Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Disco II: Transmission troubleshooting question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 05:09 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2000 Disco II: Transmission troubleshooting question

Ok...here goes. Back in December I was driving to work when I felt a small shake and then about 30 seconds later it felt like my transmission slipped into neutral. So I had it put on a trailer and delivered to my house. Fast forward to May 2011. I bought some things that I needed to put in my garage. Well, my Disco was parked about 1FT-2FT from garage door entrance, so I needed to move my Disco forward in the driveway. I went in the house to retrieve my key and make my way back out and start up my Disco. Started up I try to push the Rover forward while in PARK. Earlier I was able to move it while in PARK. No such luck. So I put it in DRIVE and give some gas and low-and-behold it drives forward. I stop and put it in REVERSE. She moves back. I did this a total of about 5 or 6 times.

So my question is this. It seems to me that the transmission is fine. Is there possibly some electrical wiring that goes to thee transmission that my have a short or loose connection?

Old 05-30-2011, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

How is the fluid? If you run it low on fluid it could act funny.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:29 PM
Mudding

I'm not sure. I have no idea how to check it.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:53 PM
Mudding

OK....went to Sears and bought some Torx sockets and took the fill plug out. Tranny fluid came out....rather quickly. Put plug back in quick. Seems like the transmission is full of fluid.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:12 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AZRover
OK....went to Sears and bought some Torx sockets and took the fill plug out. Tranny fluid came out....rather quickly. Put plug back in quick. Seems like the transmission is full of fluid.
What did the fluid look and smell like? Black rotting death or automatic transmission fluid?

Old 05-30-2011, 07:19 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Disco II's should have the transmission fluid and filter replaced every 60k miles. That means that your truck should have had this done twice already. It is very possible that the transmission in your truck has never been service, which is why you might be experiencing problems with it. Just because it is full of fluid doesn't mean that it is OK.

Last edited by buick215; 05-30-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:21 PM
Mudding

No...no black rotting stink of death. A little darker than normal but not burnt. How do you change the fluid and get it completely full without it overflowing out the fill hole?

Old 05-30-2011, 07:27 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by buick215
LR Disco II's should have the transmission fluid and filter replace every 60k miles. That means that your truck should have had this done twice already. It is very possible that it the transmission in your truck has never been service which is why you might be experiencing problems with it. Just because it is full of fluid doesn't mean that it is OK.
Buick....I agree with you...I think it's time for a flush, new filter, and fluid. I'm not sure if it' has ever been changed out or not. When I bought it, it came with extensive service paperwork. I'm not sure where I put all the records right now. Thanks for your reply....I appreciate it.

On another note I took it for a drive around the block a few times....no problems.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:46 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You must check the trans fluid level with the engine running.
In the write up section there is a "how to" on how to change the filter.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:06 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

So Spike hit on the first issue, you are now low on fluid cause you didn't have the engine running when trying to check the fluid.
I would suggest you plan on 2 drain and refills, apx 12 quarts, plus a filter and a bottle of Lucas tranny stop leak.
When you are ready to do the service, send me your number so I can walk you thru what to do.

Quick Reply: 2000 Disco II: Transmission troubleshooting question