Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 disco won’t start after filling it up with gas

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 11:10 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 disco won’t start after filling it up with gas

Hi everyone - tried searching for this issue but couldn’t find.

So I was driving and decided to get gas. I had half a tank already.

so got 93 supreme, topped it off really good. Like it clicked and I still put a little more in.

Car then started perfect, I was turning out from the pump and seconds later it just stalled.

No error lights, smoke, engine issues etc. was running smooth as I was on a highway during a trip. Car has 144k miles

It turns over and sounds like it’s gonna start but does not.

Tried a Jump start just in case but nothing.

Did I fill it up too much?
Bad fuel pump all the sudden?
i see no leaks etc.

Old 06-08-2020, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

So it turns over but doesn't start? I'd try to get a hold of a code reader to pull any pending codes, but it sounds CPS related = no spark or fuel.

The following 2 users liked this post by Best4x4:
ahab (06-08-2020), The Deputy (06-08-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 02:42 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I had the exact same thing happen to my old LR3 a year and a half ago. Turns out the gas station supplier filled the Premium tanks with Diesel on accident. Started right up and got a block away and sputtered and died. Hopefully that's not the case here but sounds awfully familiar.

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (06-08-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 06:29 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

Yeah, check for spark and fuel pump running.

Years ago, had a custumers car, mustang 2+2, he filled up, went twenty yards and then it died. Pulled fuel line to check pump, volume and pressure, and filled a quart jar with water. Pulled tank...and drained 16 gallons of water.

Old 06-08-2020, 07:16 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 852 Likes on 620 Posts

I see this is your first post here. Welcome to the forum.

If the truck starts again after the engine cools down that's a classic sign of a failed crankshaft position sensor (abbreviated CKPS, or CPS). That would have nothing to do with the fact that you just filled the gas tank. Another way to confirm it's the CKPS is to check the tachometer when you are trying to start the truck. If the starter is turning the engine over but the tach is reading 0 RPMs it's almost certainly the CKPS.

Changing the CKPS by yourself is neither expensive nor difficult. (Under $70 at your local auto parts store, or $56 with the ubiquitous Advance Auto 20% online discount). But reaching up behind the engine to disconnect the old CKPS electrical connector and then connect the new one is a royal pain.

There are many, many threads on this forum about CKPS failure and replacement. Just search for CKPS (or CPS). Plus there's information in the Land Rover Workshop Manual linked in my signature below (commonly referred to here as the RAVE).

Old 06-08-2020, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

It could also be a tank full of water, but lets hope not!

Old 06-09-2020, 09:03 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rackolamb1
I had the exact same thing happen to my old LR3 a year and a half ago. Turns out the gas station supplier filled the Premium tanks with Diesel on accident. Started right up and got a block away and sputtered and died. Hopefully that's not the case here but sounds awfully familiar.
thanks and sorry that happened.

how did you diagnose and what was the end result ? How fixed etc.

how did you tell not the censor (cps).

thanks for the help.

Old 06-09-2020, 12:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Garrett Larrow
thanks and sorry that happened.

how did you diagnose and what was the end result ? How fixed etc.

how did you tell not the censor (cps).

thanks for the help.
I actually found out from the tow truck driver. He had mentioned this as I was talking to him while loading up my truck. I couldn't figure out what was going on and it seemed too coincidental that it happened immediately after filling up. I think there were around 20 cars that got messed up, one of which was driven straight from a dealers lot. I ended up taking a payout from their insurance and selling the truck to the shop. It needed the fuel system to be drained and cleaned, new injectors, etc.

To test this theory, I would check a couple spark plugs and see if they are wet with diesel. You could also contact the fuel station and ask them if this could have happened as well.

Old 06-09-2020, 05:50 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the welcome and info.

2 days later doesn’t start.

any suggestions?

fuel pump perhaps? Is there a way to check that. Thanks.

Originally Posted by mln01
I see this is your first post here. Welcome to the forum.

If the truck starts again after the engine cools down that's a classic sign of a failed crankshaft position sensor (abbreviated CKPS, or CPS). That would have nothing to do with the fact that you just filled the gas tank. Another way to confirm it's the CKPS is to check the tachometer when you are trying to start the truck. If the starter is turning the engine over but the tach is reading 0 RPMs it's almost certainly the CKPS.

Changing the CKPS by yourself is neither expensive nor difficult. (Under $70 at your local auto parts store, or $56 with the ubiquitous Advance Auto 20% online discount). But reaching up behind the engine to disconnect the old CKPS electrical connector and then connect the new one is a royal pain.

There are many, many threads on this forum about CKPS failure and replacement. Just search for CKPS (or CPS). Plus there's information in the Land Rover Workshop Manual linked in my signature below (commonly referred to here as the RAVE).

Old 06-09-2020, 07:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 852 Likes on 620 Posts

Garrett,

I gave you a diagnostic test method. Try to start the truck and with the starter turning over the engine, watch the tachometer. If the tachometer does not move from zero RPMs change the CKPS. If the tachometer does move we'll take it from there. Please let us know. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (06-10-2020)

Quick Reply: 2000 disco won’t start after filling it up with gas