Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Series II Air Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 08:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2000 Series II Air Suspension Question

I did search, but I didn't find this same scenario being described, although some were similar...

As stated in the title, I have a 2000 Series II and have been experiencing some weird things with the air suspension:

When turning off the key I sometimes hear the compressor still running for a couple of seconds after turning off the key. Whenever this happens, when I return to the vehicle the suspension has deflated while sitting. If I turn the ignition on and start the vehicle, the compressor turns on and the bags fill with no problems.

If the compressor isn't running when I turn off the ignition, the vehicle will sit for days without any air loss whatsoever.

It doesn't appear to be a leaking air bag. It seems to be related to a pneumatic valve of some sort. Almost like that valve is sticking in the open position allowing air to escape. Sometimes when driving I can notice that the rear ride height changes when sitting at a stop light. Almost like the valve is sticking open while driving and the compressor is having to cycle on an off to keep the suspension aired up.

Could this be a faulty valve or simply an error in the ECU that needs to be cleared?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Jeff

Old 01-20-2009, 10:23 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: 2000 Series II Air Suspension Question

Jeff,
PM me with your tele number, I know the system well and will be glad to help you.
Mike

Old 01-20-2009, 11:46 AM
Rock Crawling

PMed...

Old 01-20-2009, 01:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This really does not help others out does it ..................

Old 01-20-2009, 02:27 PM
Administrator

I know that, I have spoken with him and once we get an answer and cure, he will post it.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:05 PM
Rock Crawling

Ordered replacement Air Springs from Arnott Industries per the recommendation of Disco Mike on this forum.

Received parts, Installed parts

Driver's side spring leaked from new around top crimp ring.

Called company, replacement sent

Replacement arrived, passenger side leak now evident - same location - top crimp ring.

Contacted company, sent email pictures of leak test - when backing the Disco off the drive on rack in the shop, replacement driver's side spring leaked - top crimp ring seal completely broke and bag deflated completely - Disco sitting on bump stops - undriveable.

Contacted company again - they agreed to refund money upon return of springs and sent me a UPS label via email.

Installed original springs (with slow leak) so I could have a usable vehicle. Waiting for refund from original purchase.

Arrived home today to find another set of springs from Arnott that were not ordered by me and my debit card charged for another $269.00 and I still haven't received a refund for my original purchase.

Contacted the company - admit that it is their mistake, but refuse to refund the money to my debit card for the unauthorized additional $269.00 until they get the parts back - mind you these are parts that I didn't order, so they now have $538.00 of my money tied up in their company and I still have leaky original air springs and a box of springs I didn't order that are admittedly from the same production run as the three I've already installed that all leaked...

I will be going to my credit union in the morning and filing fraud paperwork against this company for an unauthorized charge to my debit card.

I will be buying OEM Land Rover Springs once I get this all sorted out and get my money back and would recommend that no one in their right mind ever do business with Arnott Industries.

I have email correspondence from Lisa Arnott indicating that she would refund my original purchase price and that she would halt production until they can find the source of the problem with the springs.

I had high hopes that they were going to do the right thing and refund my money and I was simply going to move on and buy the OEM parts, but then they charged me again for additional parts that I didn't order and refuse to correct the mistake until they have the parts back, when I didn't order them.

In my opinion, Arnott Industries makes substandard parts and their customer service and internal communication is horrible. I will never do business with them again and will never recommend them to any friends (or enemies for that matter).

What a huge pain in the rear!

Jeff

Old 02-20-2009, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Jeff,
Sorry to hear about this, I have referred so many people to Arnott over the years and your's is the first story complaining about how you were handled and the quality of their product.
Hope you get it all worked out.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Any unathorsised transaction on a credit or debit card is ILLEGAL......

Hope they get their *** smacked!!!..........glad I never bought them from there now, it seems they dont have much of a "lifetime" warranty LOL

keep us updated with what happens, as to many compaines get away with stuff like this...

Old 03-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Rock Crawling

Just a follow up to this...

I did end up getting a full refund from Arnott Industries after quite a bit of hassle. I ended up having to save a bit more money to order the Original Equipment Air Springs from Atlantic British and I finally got them today.

In the mean time, I was fortunate to have held on to my originals that had a slow leak in them and have been able to get by with a bit of an odd temporary repair.

I got to thinking that the leak in the passenger side bag was small and was concentrated around the bottom of the spring. When leak testing the bag with soapy water, the bubbles would form around the very bottom of the spring.

I started thinking that these air springs were similar to a tire and thought, I've got nothing to lose here, lets try some type of temporary leak sealer like you would use on a tire.

I stopped by my local K-Mart and purchased a bottle of Tire Slime, went into the shop, removed the spring, inflated it with an air compressor and dumped in about 1/2 of the bottle through the air fitting, then shook it all around inside the spring.

I re-installed the spring, connected the air fittings and turned on the ignition. When I shut the door the compressor started and filled the bags. The tire slime slowly oozed out of the pin holes at the bottom of the bag and then sealed the holes. I've been driving around on the Tire Slime repaired bag for about 2 weeks while I saved enough money to order the OEM springs and they haven't leaked one bit.

I am sharing this so that if you ever find yourself in a situation where you need to get somewhere and one of your springs is leaking, this just might get you to your destination. It obviously is not a long term fix, but it did work for me in a pinch. Otherwise, I would have been without a drivable vehicle while all of this took place.

I'll be installing my new OEM springs Friday evening or Saturday. Since I use the Discovery to pull a trailer, having the Air Springs in working and reliable order is pretty important. I'm not sure how long this repair would last, and am not willing to risk hauling the trailer for long distances with it fixed that way, but I did hook it up just to see if it would carry the tongue weight and it held it fine for the 2 miles I tested it.

Hopefully, none of you will experience the level of difficulty that I had with this project. I am convinced that there was a manufacturing defect with the Arnott springs since all three that I put on leaked from the exact same place.

In the end, Arnott did the right thing by refunding my money, but it was a huge pain in the rear and I would not recommend them to anyone else.

Jeff

Old 03-18-2009, 07:28 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Huh. That's a great tip, I think I will carry a bottle of tire slime in my tool kit.

Sorry to hear about your issues with Arnott. I have 2 of their airbags for over a year with no problems. I'm OK with a company that will admit when they something wrong and will try to remedy the situation, but poor customer service is unacceptable.

Quick Reply: 2000 Series II Air Suspension Question