Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 D2 no start

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 07:48 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by goutah
I just have to say, you guys are great!! Just to be on here giving input and all excited to hear the outcome. Thank you

I just heard back from Alan from North Texas Rover. Before he put the scope on it, he had to put the top of the engine back together, and connect all the wires and plugs. Well after he did that, he went to start it just in case and it sounded a lot different than it did before. As if it wanted to start but was spitting and sputtering. He said it sounded like the spark wire configuration was off. So he checked it and sure enough the wire configuration was wrong. After he changed them correctly, it started!!!!!

I, of course, didn't believe him. So He took the phone out to the shop and started it up, as a joke of course.

I asked him to keep it overnight, then start it in the morning. Just to make sure its not the same intermittent issue that I had before.

He is still not sure what exactly fixed it but it sounds like it was probably a loose connection, after putting things back together.

We'll see tomorrow when he calls me with good news or bad news??????

Everyone better be praying!!

Matthew
Matthew,

Dude! Ok so I have relate my story, quickly.

I bought my D2 with a leaky intake gasket, so about a week before my wife and I went on vacation last summer I took to my brother in laws house and started tearing into it. I'm no pro wrencher, but I figured what the hey, let's get dirty and get it done.

After a really really annoying two or three days of setbacks, I finally got it tore apart and put back together. This was after I had broke a bolt off in the head (HF torque wrench, thanks) causing me to have to remove the lower intake and scape off the RTV once, then AGAIN because I ran out of the stuff the next day at like 12:30AM when the auto stores were closed.

Ok so picture this: it's two days before we have to leave for vacation and we pretty much HAVE to use the truck to drive about 1000 miles round trip. It's 2AM. I jump in the truck to start it, praying that everything will work ok. I start it, and I get a horrible coughing sputtering. OH. GOD. Tried it several times. Same thing.

Good thing it was night and my brother in law and sister were already asleep, cause they would've seen a grown man almost cry. Turns out I had got a bad wiring routing diagram (to this DAY I don't know why the RAVE doesn't have a diagram of the wire routing) and I was putting the wires on exactly backward. I checked it like three or four times, every time it was correct according to the diagram.

Finally I got on some forums, found another diagram, and by jove, it was different. Switched the wires and bam she started like a dream. It was 6AM by that time, but I was one happy man.

Totally great news! I can feel your relief from here.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:36 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WONDERFUL! I can only imagine how exciting it was when you heard the engine running after so long. Hope it started today and you won't be able to respond for a few days because you're out DRIVING!

I do wish they had an idea of what was up - but your's give me hope that mine will be back on the road one day too!

Enjoy.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:38 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Woohoo!!!! It's running!!!!

Today is the day I got my truck back!!!

5 weeks without it was rough. Next time I'll try to find a good support group. "Rover Separation Anxiety" anyone?
I wish I could tell everyone the exact cause of it not starting. I posting the write up that Alan did so you can read it for yourself. All I can say is, go through all your connections and clean 'em good.

I do have to toot my mechanics horn. Anyone in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, this is the place you want to go!!! After

North Texas Rover
11324 Mathis
Dallas, TX 75229
972-869-4881

I hope I'm allowed to do that.

Thank you all so much for your support, I hope my experience will help someone else.

P.S.
OK, so I can't get a legible picture of the invoice up, so here is what Alan had on the invoice word for word:

" Service Requests:DIED; REPAIRED, STILL NO START; REPAIRED MORE .• . STILL NO START?? CHECK CUSTOMER INDICATED FAILURE DIED GOING DOWN ROAD; CUSTOMER REPLACED CRANK TRIGGER. .• STILL NO START, OTHER REPAIRS STILL NO START????? CHECKED CRANK TRIGGER INSTALL, CHECKED FUEL PRESSURE, CHECKED & FOUND INJECTOR PULSE; BUT NO SPARK???? PULLED UPPER PLENUM AND FOUND BARE INJECTOR WIRE UNDERSIDE OF INTAKE. PULLED IGNITION COIL PACKS AND FOUND
PLUG WIRES INSTALLED ON WRONG CYLINDERS, CORRECTED. PULLED ENGINE WIRING HARNESS LOOSE TO VERIFY NO SHORTS OR OPENS. VERIFIED HARNESS WIRING FROM COMPUTER TO ENGINE. REPLACED FUEL CONTROL UNIT AND BCU W/GOOD UNITS WITH SAME RESULT (NO IGNITION BUT HAS INJECTOR PULSE & FUEL PUMP OPERATION) REMOVED HARNESS TO TEST FOR PROPER CRANK TRIGGER WAVE W/OCILLISCOPE (GOOD PATTERN) WHILE TESTING, VEHICLE STARTED TO FUNCTION!!!!?!?!?!?!?
NO OF AVAILABLE EXPLINATION OF REPAIR IS AVAILABLE!!
Technicians: AA, LILMEX, SOH
"

Last edited by goutah; 11-25-2010 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Added invoice notes
Old 12-21-2010, 01:17 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been having a similar problem recently. This is on a 2001 DII, 160k miles.

The car will not start the first time that I turn the key. When you turn it once or twice, it does start and there is no problem after that.

After a few weeks of this I figured out that to start the vehicle up the first time I had to partially turn the key, enough so that the fuel pump was enganged and sent gasoline down the fuel line. Then turned the key back to off, then turned again and the car starts like it was new.

An independent machanic had the vehicle for about a week and checked the fuel pressure. It was fine so the fuel pump is probably ok. I asked for a fuel system clean up and had the motor starter replaced (it needed this anyway, so it was preventive maintenance).

So now with the fuel system clean up, a new motor starter, and verification that the fuel pressure is adequate once the vehicle is running, I still have the same problem.

The symptom only shows up after the car is not running for several hours, So it looks like the fuel pressure drops to the point where there is not enough gasoline in the fuel line to start up.

Any suggestions / comments? It looks like there is some sort of clogging in the upstream fuel line.

C

Old 04-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Winching
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

That is defiantly the fuel pump, mine was doing the same thing.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced my fuel pump and solved the problem. The secret is to check fuel pressure after it has sat all night. The system is pressurized and it leaks down over time. That is why you have to turn off and on several times to get the pressure back up.