Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Disco 2 Starts Sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 09:33 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Disco 2 Starts Sometimes

So I am working on this disco and every time I think I am making a little head way, I take four steps back. So here is what I am dealing with.

First of all it will not start every time I try. Sometimes I have to bypass the inertia switch and sometimes I have to reconnect it the get it to start. It will run for about 5 minutes and then it dies. Until last night I always got a misfire on cylinder 2 error. Last night I actually received 8 codes which I cleared prior to writing them down like a moron, but here is the the basics. Cylinder misfire on 2 and 3, low voltage error, ac compressor error, and an alignment error that I believe has to do with the CPS or timing. I do not remember exactly what it said and it was the first I have seen these so I want to see if I could duplicate them prior to troubleshooting further.

Second I have the three amigos and do not have a clue where to start on those other than paying someone to read those, as my scanner cannot.

Third the VCR and TVs will not power on. Is there a place to order a DVD player as a replacement.

So here are the steps I have taken so far. I have replaced the spark plugs, verified gas is good, ordered an inertia switch and under hood fuse box, replaced fuses and relays with new, consulted the owners manual and RAVE, Spoke with the shop foreman at the closest dealership (6 hours away) and replaced battery.

I am completely thrown off by the fact the it will randomly start and then it will not again. I have been told the inertia switch is almost never the problem but the fuse box can be. I also have never had a reason to suspect the CPS until last night.

Any assistance would be respectfully appreciated.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

There are so many possibilities with a problem like this it's hard to know where to start. I would probably remove the access panel for the fuel pump and check the power and ground on it to make sure everything is good there. Then you can watch it to see if the power drops out when it dies. Or if it doesn't lose power, but the pump stops, then you'll know that the pump is going bad.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:31 AM
8th Gear

Sorry I forgot to say that I have checked voltage at the fuel pump and verified that the connectors are all clean. I have not checked while or after if dies though.

Thank you for your reply.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:36 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

next time it dies check for fuel at the fuel rail, there is a test port at the rear of the rail.
if you have 30 or so psi its not the pump, if you have squat start checking the pump and harness.

the ABS codes have to be read or you will waist a lot of time and money

whats a VCR

Last edited by drowssap; 10-30-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:40 AM
Mudding
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

VCR and TV's wont turn on? They put VCR's in a Land Rover? I've never heard of that.

Your problem sounds like a bad Crankshafft Position Sensor.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:46 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

ckps can also be checked with a OBD2 scanner when the car dies. check what RPM reading you get while cranking if 0 the ckps is bad.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:17 PM
8th Gear

This weekend I replaced the under hood fuse box, inertia switch, and the crank position sensor and one or all has fixed most of the issue. I still have the p1590 implausible rotation and a miss fire which I am sure is the wires. I will pick up the wires tonight on my way home from work. The p1590 I assume is a result of the three amigos, but I could be wrong. If anyone knows that would be great. Also I still can not get the entertainment system working in this vehicle. Is there a trick to turning the TVs on?

Old 11-02-2015, 03:51 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by klindley
This weekend I replaced the under hood fuse box, inertia switch, and the crank position sensor and one or all has fixed most of the issue. I still have the p1590 implausible rotation and a miss fire which I am sure is the wires. I will pick up the wires tonight on my way home from work. The p1590 I assume is a result of the three amigos, but I could be wrong. If anyone knows that would be great. Also I still can not get the entertainment system working in this vehicle. Is there a trick to turning the TVs on?
Yes, p1590 is related to the 3 amigos.

As for your TV's and VCR, are you sure they are not something aftermarket that was installed by the previous owners? I wasn't aware that 2001 D2's came with the option for TV's, and I've never ever seen a VCR installed in a D2, or any other car for years and years. Do you have a picture of the system?

I think I've seen a Rosen brand DVD system in more TD5 and non-NAS models but they are more rare on NAS trucks I think. Any way, from the little information I've read on the units, there seems to be a lot of people that had there units die on them so there may be a common problem in them. I know the sunroofs tend to leak in these trucks so I can imagine that a roof mounted TV/DVD might have water problems. It could be your unit is just dead and that is why it won't turn on. Has it ever worked before?
I found a replacement if you really want it, but it's $1,300 so it would be cheaper to go with an aftermarket system in my opinion.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LAND-ROVER-D...-/251190440734

Last edited by R0VERGUY; 11-04-2015 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:24 PM
8th Gear

The previous owner stated that it came with a the tv mounted to the under side of the roof, two in the second row headrests and a VCR. I will take to a local car audio place to see what they can do for me on that. Since I now have it running good, I decided to check for a visible reason for the three amigos. Currently all for rotors need to be replaced and it needs fresh pads. Could this cause all three lights and the P1590 code? Or am I correct in thinking the code is related more to a wheel speed sensor / transmission speed sensor?

Old 11-04-2015, 07:52 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by klindley
The previous owner stated that it came with a the tv mounted to the under side of the roof, two in the second row headrests and a VCR. I will take to a local car audio place to see what they can do for me on that. Since I now have it running good, I decided to check for a visible reason for the three amigos. Currently all for rotors need to be replaced and it needs fresh pads. Could this cause all three lights and the P1590 code? Or am I correct in thinking the code is related more to a wheel speed sensor / transmission speed sensor?
I have heard of all kinds of things causing the 3 amigos including worn out pads and rotors but wheel speed sensors and the ABS modulator are usually a more likely cause. No matter what the issue you will need to have the lights reset after the repair, they won't reset on there own after the repair is completed. A cheap autozone type scanner won't connect to the ABS system either so you will need a ABS amigo, a more expensive scanner, or take it to a land rover shop to reset and read the fault codes.

I had the 3 amigos when I bought the truck and thought I would need to do the ABS modulator repair to fix it. I replaced my pads and rotors right after I bought the truck because they were bad and drove it with the amigos until I finally bought the ABS amigo to see what the problem was. I hooked up the ABS amigo to read the fault codes and reset the lights. My lights never came back on so I'm not sure if the new pads and rotors fixed it or the previous owner had fixed something and just never got the lights turned off.

Last edited by R0VERGUY; 11-05-2015 at 10:45 AM.

Quick Reply: 2001 Disco 2 Starts Sometimes