Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Disco II - no spark, no fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 02:53 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Disco II - no spark, no fuel pressure

Any help appreciated.

2001 Disco II, Turn the key and the engine turns over as normal but does not start. I have checked the fuses and relays they are good. Replaced the cam shaft sensor, crank case sensor. I have tested the fuel pump by bypassing the fuel pump relay and the fuel pump is working. I have also tested the rollover/fuel cut off switch. It is pushed and there is voltage through the closed circuit.

When starting I have verified that there is no spar to the spark plugs and there is no fuel pressure.

No "P" codes shown.

Help. Finally about to take it to the shop.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:03 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 2001 Disco II - no spark, no fuel pressure

no spark or fuel? thats odd both would go out at the exact same time. any recent electrical fires, maybe in the main wiring harness?

Old 10-13-2008, 05:37 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Check the alarm spider, it will cut the fuel and maybe the spark too. On DI's it is a common fault, but not to sure about DII's.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:08 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good suggestion spike, I know lots of vehicle alarms kill the spark..did not know rovers cut off fuel.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which relays and fuses did you check, and how did you check them? From the wiring diagram, I am not seeing a whole lot that will kill both systems. Take it to a shop or dealership, have them use a scanner(with real-time display or T4(testbook)) to see if the crank sensor is sending a signal to the ecm. You said you replaced the crank sensor, so if they do not see an rpm reading in ecm real-time display, then it is likely that there is no power to the sensor. Check the main relay, fuses 1 and 2, fusible link 8. Rap on the ignition switch while cranking(I had a Freelander today that had no brake/reverse lights, radio, wipers when running due to opened ignition switch contacts after cranking that relaxed after turning ign off then on and when rapping on it when running). Possible faulty ecm.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:27 PM
6th Gear

Thanks to all for the help! The problem turned out to be the crank sensor. When I removed the old one there was a spacer that came out as well. When I put the new unit back in I did not place the spacer in correctly.

Issue closed.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:17 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

THANK YOU for posting the fix.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:29 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Posting the fix is definitely a big help to everyone. It also goes to show that if you are having problems having changing something to go back and put the old part back in to see if that is causing the problem, or as in this case make sure the new part is installed properly.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:31 PM
Mudding

Woow!! Im having this issue right now with a customer D2. I check the fuel pump, ecm, reset buttom on the firer wall, relays and fuses, check the alarm and Nothing.. My next step was the crank shaft sensor!!!! Im glad u guys post this =D

Old 12-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Mudding

A litle up-date here on mine..... Today I replace the cam sensor and crank sensor and still not getting any spark or fuel pressure... I swap the computer from another 2001 and still the same, no spark and no fuel pressure...... also check the reset button by the firerwall..... It looks to me that had something to do with the alarm or something

Quick Reply: 2001 Disco II - no spark, no fuel pressure