Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 discovery 2 with 60,000 miles what’s a fair price?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 09:15 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by FlyingZebra34
So you're saying you can walk? Definitely will come in handy. Haha
hah ha ha

Old 12-23-2018, 10:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

If the interior/exterior are in excellent shape, no rust anywhere, well maintained and prev owner was an old lady yes. $10-12k is probably a fair price with 60k miles. If no service records, paint fading, seats torn or worn, frame rust anywhere, $6-8k at 60k miles.
What is the trim? S or SE? Do the sunroofs open and close (SE) trim? Service records? Tires OK? Pop the hood, anything stick out as unusual? New battery, hoses, belts, etc anywhere?

Last edited by stillruns; 12-23-2018 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:40 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It would be hard to pay $12k for a 2001 even if it was it perfect rebuilt condition while also black with black interior.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:46 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

I don't think it would be worth $7k with a brand new replacement engine. Its still got all the high mile maintenance ahead of it. Look at Craigslist in different major metro areas around you. Don't see very many $13k Discos. Even ones with brand new engines. Not even out here on the west coast where they have double the value than the east coast. But if you are willing to pay it, then so be it... We're a spoiled lot here having such access to these high quality vehicles at a relatively low price. Really properly done one of these will cost you whether you buy low and fix everything or you buy high and ride a while then fix everything. I tell new buyers that they should expect $2k per year maintenance as a long term average. I don't think that changes any with a low mile example. I don't think paying that much more up front will gain you in the long term. Things will continue to need to be maintained like it is the $45k car it was born as. Similar to a beautiful woman that way.

Last edited by Dave03S; 12-23-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:25 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,278 Likes on 897 Posts

At a dealership, if the vehicle checks all of the boxes and seems to be what l'm looking for...l automatically go 2K lower than asking price....or more if l'm in the battling mood. And, on a Discovery...l might go even lower...knowing the common failure issues.

I've got several friends that work as used car sales person...trust me...they give peanuts for trade-ins. If they gave the owner 5/6K for that on trade in l'd be surprised.

If it's a private owner, l'd probably approach them the same way...since it's a Discovery. Believe me, you're in the drivers seat on this one. These Discovery's have a stigma about them and known issues that plague ownership...so make this work in your favor. You need to buy this thing right, or you will be upside down afterwards.

And, l'm speaking from experience...since, we got smoked on our first Dll (03). Nicest couple you'd ever meet, but wow...talk about ripping us off. But, l've become a much more savvy Dll buyer because of them. And joining this forum helped a lot, too. Never imagined a vehicle having so many "this or that" issues...but they do...and you better know what they are...or you could get bitten.

I will say, my 01 has been a great vehicle and has been quite reliable over the last two years. It's been my daily driver (nearly 30K) and camping/wheeling rig...and it's been quite trustworthy...considering the abuse. Only failures have been wheeling related.

Brian.

Old 12-24-2018, 06:43 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by The Deputy
At a dealership, if the vehicle checks all of the boxes and seems to be what l'm looking for...l automatically go 2K lower than asking price....or more if l'm in the battling mood. And, on a Discovery...l might go even lower...knowing the common failure issues.

I've got several friends that work as used car sales person...trust me...they give peanuts for trade-ins. If they gave the owner 5/6K for that on trade in l'd be surprised.

If it's a private owner, l'd probably approach them the same way...since it's a Discovery. Believe me, you're in the drivers seat on this one. These Discovery's have a stigma about them and known issues that plague ownership...so make this work in your favor. You need to buy this thing right, or you will be upside down afterwards.

And, l'm speaking from experience...since, we got smoked on our first Dll (03). Nicest couple you'd ever meet, but wow...talk about ripping us off. But, l've become a much more savvy Dll buyer because of them. And joining this forum helped a lot, too. Never imagined a vehicle having so many "this or that" issues...but they do...and you better know what they are...or you could get bitten.

I will say, my 01 has been a great vehicle and has been quite reliable over the last two years. It's been my daily driver (nearly 30K) and camping/wheeling rig...and it's been quite trustworthy...considering the abuse. Only failures have been wheeling related.

Brian.
thanks everyone. From what I gather I believe a fair price is around $10k if it is in the condition they say it is in.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:16 AM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

Don’t listen to the guys that say it won’t be reliable because if you follow the directions of this board and do the must things on the maintenance list it will run just fine. But if you take it to shops they have no idea

now 12k American is a bit much that’s almost 15 k Canadian.
10 k if it had proper maintenance done like 180 stat fluids head gaskets etc

Old 12-24-2018, 09:09 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 119 Likes on 72 Posts

I have looked at numerous Discos over the past few months before buying mine. Right now you can get good Discos for cheap. Under $5k. Personally, I would not pay over $6kor $7K for one in the most pristine condition, even with low miles. Because as others stated, it doesn’t matter the condition, or miles, it WILL require additional investment, at various costs, plus your time investment, before too long and you need to tell the seller that hard fact, if they dont know already.

The only way I’d go over $6k or $7k is if it was already highly modified, so you’d be buying parts and accessories up front that you wouldn’t have to buy later. But I’d still add up their value, then discount it by 50% and add that to a starting figure of roughly $5k... a little more or less, depending on overall condition. Then its up to the seller to accept or deny.

The one you are looking at is grossly over priced IMO....but its your money. You could just be patient and let it sit for awhile then go back and offer them a more fair price. Good luck!

Last edited by Daytoman; 12-24-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:20 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Daytoman
I have looked at numerous Discos over the past few months before buying mine. Right now you can get good Discos for cheap. Under $5k. Personally, I would not pay over $6kor $7K for one in the most pristine condition, even with low miles. Because as others stated, it doesn’t matter the condition, or miles, it WILL require additional investment, at various costs, plus your time investment, before too long and you need to tell the seller that hard fact, if they dont know already.

The only way I’d go over $6k or $7k is if it was already highly modified, so you’d be buying parts and accessories up front that you wouldn’t have to buy later. But I’d still add up their value, then discount it by 50% and add that to a starting figure of roughly $5k... a little more or less, depending on overall condition.

The one you are looking at is grossly over priced IMO....but its your money. You could just be patient and let it sit for awhile then go back an offer them a more fair price. Good luck!
Fair enough. Should I purchase one with higher miles for $6k then? I know plenty out there but they have 120k miles.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 229 Likes on 182 Posts

Any concerns about rust on the frame? Wondering if the truck has been used on the beach.

Quick Reply: 2001 discovery 2 with 60,000 miles what’s a fair price?