Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Discovery,ignition key cut

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 08:10 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Discovery,ignition key cut

Hello guys,I am a new member in this forum...and my wife is the proud owner on a new(for her) 2001 Discovery SE,we just aquired from a 80 year old gentleman...who paid 2000$ extra to get the car,brand new,in Ruthland red?!...kinda unusual to see on the street...so,here is my first QUESTION:
I only have one remote key...I need a replacement,not necessary with remote fob integrated,just a key in case she is losing the original one...I dont seem to find the answer anywhere...is it a transponder key?,or a regular hardware store key?,also,where can I find or adapt/build a contraption to install the rear plate,previous owner removed the plate with the bracket...?

Old 12-31-2009, 10:23 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

For the best results, call your Rover dealer and get the factory key code number, then have any key shop cut you a blank key out of their inventory or buy a Rover key black from the dealer.
Use the key code instead of your some what warn out key to get an exact fit.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You can get just a blank and have it cut.
A key blank for a DI will work and be cheap to buy and then anyplace can cut it for you.
It is NOT a transponder key.
The remote just snaps over the key head, pop it off to replace the battery but be quick when you do, if the remote looses its memory you will be making a trip to the dealer to get it programmed.
You can buy your blank off of e-bay, but do not buy the remote off of e-bay, long story short it wont work and you wont beable to get it programmed.
www.atlanticbritish.com
www.roversnorth.com
Check your dealer before buying online.
As long as you are having keys cut get 2 made, one for you and one for the junk drawer in the kitchen.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

For the D2, the ilco brand key blank part # is RV4-P which has a plastic mold on the key. " ilco" is one of the popular brand of replacement key blanks around. A lock smith will have this, but probably not your local hardware or Walmart / Lowes / HomeDepot type store that makes keys.

In regard to the rear license plate bracket, you may be able to find one on the forum with someone parting out a D2, or at a local salvage yard where they have one with rear door damage, or maybe on Ebay. Dealer can always get you one for a PRICE. First rule I learned on this, my first Land Rover, is that the dealer is the very last, desperate choice when it comes to most anything on your Rover. You will want to find you a local mechanic that has had some experience with Land Rovers, although most repairs can be performed by a competent mechanic or in many cases by you.

You will also gain a lot of knowledge by reading post on the forum from the past and in the future. That has ended up preparing me for things that came up on my D2 that I recognized from information from the forum and helped me know pretty much what the problem was, how serious it was, and how much the parts and labor should costs to get it fixed. The folks on hear for very helpful and will share what they know.

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 01-01-2010 at 12:55 AM.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to have a hardware store copy my key. No luck after about 4 trys. It worked it the door but not the ignition. I will try a locksmith like rover hokie said.

Willie