Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Disco Stock Subwoofers

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 06:51 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Disco Stock Subwoofers

Hello,

I have a 2002 SE that is new to me as a couple of days ago. I'm trying to find some info on the stock subwoofers in the rear door. They make almost no sound and I'm wondering if there is something wrong. I routed some speaker wire from one of the subs to a seperate sub I had laying around, and although it sounds slightly louder, it barely make a peep. It's this typical? Are these normally underpowered or is it possible that I have a malfuntioning amp or something?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Old 06-28-2007, 07:30 AM
Overlanding
Default RE: 2002 Disco Stock Subwoofers

It could be a loose connection from your main amp or your booster amp . is the main amp under the rear pass seat? if so check the connections. If that doesnt work check the booster amp.( mine is in the rear door -96) Check the connectors to make sure theyre not loose

Old 06-28-2007, 07:49 AM
Mudding

That's not it. Just checked, the amp seems to be under the front driver seat, and there is one large connection that is either locked in or completely disconnected. It is connected for sure. For anyone that knows 2002's, is this the only amp that I should be checking? I can't find another.

Chris

Old 06-28-2007, 11:37 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks like the low range door and tailgate speakers are controlled by the same amp on the same line. If you turn your fader all the way to the front, do the tail speakers still work? How about all the way to the back? (dumb question, but your bass is turned up all the way, right?)

If you are looking for more punch, I have heard of people using the storage comp (if not an SE-7) to make a sub box and amp. I just tapped into my wires in the door, added a line converter and aftermarket amp and threw a box in the back. IT is a ported 8 and more than enough for what I like.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:51 PM
Mudding

Yep, bass is all the way up. What could be the problem? From doing a search here it doesn't sound like this is the way it came from the factory. I don't know what it's doing, so what is the easiest way to install a new amp? Can I use any of the same wiring? I'm not a guru at car stereo, obviously, but i can work around that with good advice.

thanks

Old 06-28-2007, 06:16 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen them on ebay and they show an amp built into the rear subs ....

Old 06-29-2007, 08:55 AM
Mudding

I pulled the subs out the other night and they are just speakers in the plastic housing, no amp attached. These subwoofers or maybe even the entire stereo system seems to be sort of an unknown. I've done searches here and on the web in general and there don't seem to be any answers to where the amps are and why this type of issue with the subs exists. I don't know where to turn at this point and I don't want to pay someone to check it out if I don't have to. I'd rather just spend that money on a new amp and subs.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:16 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pulled my 03's subs and there is an amp built in between the two speakers

Old 07-01-2007, 02:37 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: SpeedAgent

I pulled the subs out the other night and they are just speakers in the plastic housing, no amp attached. These subwoofers or maybe even the entire stereo system seems to be sort of an unknown. I've done searches here and on the web in general and there don't seem to be any answers to where the amps are and why this type of issue with the subs exists. I don't know where to turn at this point and I don't want to pay someone to check it out if I don't have to. I'd rather just spend that money on a new amp and subs.
Get a line level converter and just wire in a new amp in the rear door. It will drop the voltage from the subs to a pre-amp level for the input to your amp. You will have to run a fused power line, a switched line, and a ground to the new amp. Depends on where you want to put it. If you have a 5 seater, you can build a box in the storage compartment. Maybe even add the amp in the box. Infinity makes a self powered 8" you can add. You can tap into the lines that go to the rear door.

If you have a regular system, your amp for the front doors is the same as the one for the subs in the rear door. Not sure why you have no sound coming out. It looks as though the lines for the front door main speakers are the same for the rear door subs. Depending on your stereo package, you may or may not have an amp in the rear door, it doesn't sound like it. If you go to a car stereo place, they should be ably to install something for less than $50, depending on what you buy.

You can get a rave CD at rover-renovations.com It has some wiring diagrams and component locators. Without seeing the truck, it is hard to say what runs where. I know where mine goes, but I have a 97 and it is different.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:28 AM
Mudding

I found a set of Pyle 6.5" Subs, but I'm not sure of the fitment. Does anyone know of any specific speakers that are a direct fit for this subwoofer enclosure in the rear door? It's a non-HK system.

thanks