Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Disco... upgrade/mod questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 09:30 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Disco... upgrade/mod questions

Alright, so i just got a 02 disco, and I really want to put a nav system in. I take it there is none that will fit "in-dash". What are my options on what will fit a land rover... I checked out crutchfield, and it saidfor every system that it required a "modified fit". So what would be the easiest brand/system to install?

Old 03-19-2008, 09:59 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: 2002 Disco... upgrade/mod questions

I think you can get a regular DIN mount that has the screen that slides out and adda little finisher on the bottom. I think a couple of people have done it, I'll wait for them to chime in.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi or you could add the "factory" nav system that uses the Harmon / Becker Traffic pro. Its not an "easy" install and took me a lot of reasearch to get it right, and a few £'s to. But its worth it imo as it keeps the steering switches / cd changeras standard etc.

This will give you some idea of whats involved, I havent "fully" completed the write up yet, but have a look anyway http://www.discovery2.co.uk/navigation.html

Old 03-19-2008, 02:05 PM
7th Gear

Thank you for the responses.

okdiscoguy - yeah, thats probably what i'm looking at what to do, guess i'm just waiting for the people that have it done to see what brand and model they used to see how much work was involved in modifying the fit.

urban - thats the first time i've seen the actual nav system they put in the discos. The only problem i have with that is that there really is no "screen" to look at. I thought for sure that the nav system from Land Rover looked more along the lines of an actual LCD color screen that displayed a map. But i guess now i see and aftermarket system is what i'm going to need.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:29 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Urban, that is a very nice write up. Thank you for taking the time to share such clear info with the rest of us!

Old 03-19-2008, 04:39 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Urban, you have the nicest looking disco I have ever seen. Seriously. I love the stock look with the awesome off road add-ons. My favorite thing about any disco is the fact that it can go off road "as is" a.k.a STOCK, and I love the fact that you made yours look like that while keeping is mostly stock. Awesome job, I admire it!

Old 03-19-2008, 06:51 PM
Mudding

Where's the map screen on your navigation system, Urban? I didn't read your entire write-up (which looks very thorough), but what's the benefit of having a nav system with that tiny little black and green screen?

I use a Garmin Nuvi in my Disco, and man do Ilove it. That may be a cheaper and easier way to go if you don't mind putting a mount somewhere and a few easy-to-hide cables. The Nuvi gives me gps maps, an SD card-based MP3 player, and a bluetooth speakerphone for my phone all in one compact unit with a bright, easy to see touchscreen. I highly recommend the Nuvi line...

Old 03-19-2008, 07:50 PM
7th Gear

ORIGINAL: andrewmcoffin

Where's the map screen on your navigation system, Urban? I didn't read your entire write-up (which looks very thorough), but what's the benefit of having a nav system with that tiny little black and green screen?

I use a Garmin Nuvi in my Disco, and man do Ilove it. That may be a cheaper and easier way to go if you don't mind putting a mount somewhere and a few easy-to-hide cables. The Nuvi gives me gps maps, an SD card-based MP3 player, and a bluetooth speakerphone for my phone all in one compact unit with a bright, easy to see touchscreen. I highly recommend the Nuvi line...
Yeah, i was wondering the same with Urban's nav system.

I have looked at seperate nav systems that need no installation to the dash. I like the fact i also dont have to pay a company to install it for me.

Hmmm... i'll have to take a look into the garmin nuvi

Old 03-19-2008, 08:22 PM
Three Wheeling

i've got a pioneer avic-n3 installed in my disco 2002. got the brain up behind the glove box. its a great nav system and you can always add the ipod interface and the xm-radio and navtraffic mod. it gives you up to date traffic news and lets your nav system change routes to accomodate for live traffic. its a 6.5" flip out oh and it plays dvd's!! i bypassed i know thats wrong in so many ways but who gives a ****.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Guys, thankyou for the positive questions ref my Website and my truck, much appreciated !!.

Right, in response to the queries ref the Nav map, Yes your correct that there is no pretty"colour" map on the screen to look at, but witha "good" nav system, its the Voice commands that are most important imo, if you need to look at the screen, then the commands the system is giving you are not clear and concise, or you just dont believe it lol. If your having a nav system to look at a map image, then why bother at all, just get a paper map and save a lot of money......?

The screen, does display images of roundabouts / crossroadsetc and shows which turning to take, (aswell as voice commands)it also has a count down bar / meter that appears from about 800 ydsbefore a turning, followed by large arrows. Its very straight forward and simpleto read. I will get some net piccys for the moand add some more pictures from mine in action if anyone wants to see them, this will show what does actually appear.

I to looked at an "aftermarket" system, but I really did not want to loose the steering wheel controls and CD changer, hence i took the "factory" challenge on. It has a compass you can have displayed on your screen whether or not your naving, and its also TMC based, so will re-route you via Radio traffic reports.....theres even afew games to

Heres a few piccys, hopefully will give you some idea, sorry for the BIG one (will edit this in the morning), im not hosting these myself and i did this at work, hence its just a http link

and another

Quick Reply: 2002 Disco... upgrade/mod questions