Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003-2004 tail lights... someone make them and take my money!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

The wiring on those Tuff Rox lights = looks like a TOTAL DISASTER..... I don't think I could ever bring myself to install those things even if they were free!

Old 04-30-2021, 09:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
The wiring on those Tuff Rox lights = looks like a TOTAL DISASTER..... I don't think I could ever bring myself to install those things even if they were free!

Looks alone, I agree with you. fugly.

Here are my lightly modded tails. After the last accident where somebody backed into me in a parking lot (third time it has been hit in the rear) and the numerous times I have had close calls when backing, I ripped out the stock reverse/rear fog/reflectors out of the bumper and replaced when LED pods. Wanting to replace the reflectors, I took some reflector tape and cut it to fit over the lower part of the upper tail light where the guard bisects it. I always hated how it cut the amber into a third. So now it is Brakes/Tail on top, Amber in the middle, and reflector on the bottom.

Last edited by Art H; 04-30-2021 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-30-2021, 11:18 PM
Mudding
Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts

A buddy found two new driver’s tail lights in Australia recently and bought both of them for a cool $700 bucks. I snagged his spare and found a new passenger tail light. The cost of these things are ridiculous

Old 07-15-2022, 09:28 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon318
Seriously though... they've been NLA for ages, while the 1999-2002 tail lights are still widely available brand new. Ironically, the 2003-2004 tail lights are the ones that need to be replaced due to how dumpster their build quality is. What's up with this? LR just didn't make enough extra?
Yesterday I was taking off my right (passenger side) tail light in order to locate the trailer plug for the trailer wiring. As I was installing the tail light back, I noticed a piece of it chipped off at the corner. They are super fragile indeed, made of really crappy plastic. Could they be 3-D printed now days? I looked for an aftermarket version, like they sell for the DIsco 3 and most american trucks and vans, couldn't find anything. Oh, and by the way, it looks like my Landy has NO trailer plug at all. Is it even possible?

Old 07-16-2022, 10:14 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Not according to 3D printer people

Originally Posted by m1943
Yesterday I was taking off my right (passenger side) tail light in order to locate the trailer plug for the trailer wiring. As I was installing the tail light back, I noticed a piece of it chipped off at the corner. They are super fragile indeed, made of really crappy plastic. Could they be 3-D printed now days? I looked for an aftermarket version, like they sell for the DIsco 3 and most american trucks and vans, couldn't find anything. Oh, and by the way, it looks like my Landy has NO trailer plug at all. Is it even possible?
A while back I stuck my toe in the 3D printing Reddit forum and was basically told they can’t make them because it’s a one piece unit. Not just a lens. Also the grade of plastic they need to be made from has to be UV resistant material and “DOT” stamped but I don’t think we care much about that. Apparently harder than it sounds.

The following users liked this post:
m1943 (07-18-2022)