Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 D2 throwing P0306 code (cylinder 6 misfire) after car wash

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 04:27 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 D2 throwing P0306 code (cylinder 6 misfire) and now P0300

Took my disco through the car wash today (I now know from reading around that this is frowned upon by some) and had just had an oil change/engine lookover done yesterday at the local shop, was told everything sounds and looks good. Today about an hour or so after the car wash, the disco had a flashing SES light that then went solid, I quickly pulled off, plugged in the code reader, and checked the codes. Some threads with the same issue have said to just let it dry out (simple enough here in Arizona, it's 86 today) and that the code should not truth. I have for the moment cleared the code and have the hood open to let thing get dry. Any other recommendations? I'm fresh out of college and have babied this sucker the last four years I've had it and just want some other opinions! Thanks in advance!

2003 Discovery II with 143,6xx miles with minor coolant leak.

Last edited by whitschack; 04-23-2017 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Update
Old 04-22-2017, 08:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 181 Likes on 117 Posts

This exact scenario happened to me about a year or so when I went to the car wash after a hard day wheeling. I got home and let it dry out. It was fine the next day, been good since. I'd just wait and see.

The following users liked this post:
whitschack (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 11:44 AM
4wd Low
Default Updates

So I let the Disco dry out overnight, started her up this morning and all was fine, took a few laps around the block - no code. Got onto a roadway with a 45 mph speed limit and back came the lights. Now I'm also getting the P0300 code in addition to the P0306. What would you all recommend be the next step for diagnostics?

Old 04-23-2017, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Replace the spark plug wires. Since you have an 03 you'll most likely have SAI so I wouldn't even waste my time trying to squeeze my hands back there. Just remove the Upper Air Intake to have better access getting to the coil packs.

whitschack (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 05:51 PM
4wd Low

So how difficult is it to actually do the change out for the wiring for spark plugs? I'd like to be able to try to do it myself, and not have to pay an arm and a leg for labor, I also found the wiring diagram and am able to see where everything needs to be when I put it all back together but I don't want to get it taken apart and end up making things worse. Help I do have teeny tiny hands so I would be attempting to do it without taking the Upper Air Intake off if possible. Would it be worth it to also switch out the spark plugs while I've got things apart? I couldn't even tell you how long it's been since they've been replaced (I haven't had it for that long and wasn't given all the records) any advice would be great. Thanks in advance!

Old 04-23-2017, 06:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 181 Likes on 117 Posts

It could be the wires. Could also be coils or plugs. It's virtually impossible to get to the coil packs without taking the intake manifold off. It's pretty easy, take a look at the RAVE.

Should definitely change the plugs if they haven't been changed in a while. Cannot hurt.

Maybe start by changing the plugs since they need to be done and they are fairly easy to get to and see if the issue goes away. If if doesn't go for the wires and then the coils.

whitschack (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 10:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Is that plastic cowling behind the wiper blades cracked or missing pieces? If so, water has a direct route to the top of your engine & this could be a recurring theme.

whitschack (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 10:18 PM
4wd Low

Update- we have a solution! Went in and pulled out the spark plug, electrode was basically gone! Swapped out the spark plug, cleared the code, smooth drive no returning code. Planning on doing all the plugs and wires this upcoming weekend. For right now it's basically a band aid over a bullet wound, so looking forward to having some peace of mind getting it all fixed up with new plugs and wires! Thanks for the help everyone!

Old 04-23-2017, 10:19 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by chubbs878
Is that plastic cowling behind the wiper blades cracked or missing pieces? If so, water has a direct route to the top of your engine & this could be a recurring theme.
It is cracked! I will look into getting another too, my disco needs a little spring spruce up so I'll add it to the list, thanks!

Old 04-28-2017, 11:49 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

That happens after a wash.
Just drive it around for about 1/2 hour.
The engine heat will remove all the water.
Then reset codes.

Quick Reply: 2003 D2 throwing P0306 code (cylinder 6 misfire) after car wash