Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 disco bad oil pump/ engine swap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011 | 05:30 PM
|
8th Gear
Default 2003 disco bad oil pump/ engine swap?

Hello all, I tried looking through the treads for these answers, I think the search feature isn't working properly. Long story short, brother in law was taking over payments on our 2003 discovery, after about 6 months of him having it, the oil light came on. We had always used synthetic oils and taken very good care of it. He continued to drive it for about another 200 miles. Then he had trouble starting it. He took it to a shop where they informed him that the oil pump had gone out. They quoted him a pretty large sum of money to replace the engine. He then promptly gave it back to us. The truck has 92K miles on it now. From the thread I was reading, it said the pumps went out at around or before the 30K mark. So I'm guessing I need to get a newer engine? I was reading something about the range rover engines being better? I knew ford had bought or had large interest in these at the time, and I had always assumed (incorrectly) that it was the same 4.6L engine they use for everything. Has anyone switched these drivetrains with anything else (I know that might be blasphemy)? Whenever I say "land rover" the price seems to get higher. Whether it's oil changes, tires or exhaust manifold. I know I can pick up a ford 4x4 complete setup with about 60K miles for around $800. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-28-2011 | 05:36 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by josephnone
the oil light came on. [...] He continued to drive it for about another 200 miles.
Yes, the motor is almost assuredly toast. He made sure of that by driving it around with no oil pressure.

Poer plant swaps cost more than the truck is worth, and are only options for people who like to fab their own stuff up or want a particular motor of a particular reason.

Find a junk motor for $2k or so and swap it in. Drive it or sell it. How it happened really doesn't matter in this case, as this is a tech forum and not a family counseling board.

Old 05-28-2011 | 05:39 PM
Administrator

You should be able to find another 4.0 or 4.6 short block and swqp your parts over to the newer engine.
By the way this is an old Buick engine, not a Ford.

Old 05-28-2011 | 11:52 PM
|
8th Gear
Default re: engine swap

ok. thanks. I was giving some background for the situation. I'm a much more responsible owner, even my girl knows better than that. Didn't want you guys to think I was just some douche that ignores his warning lights or vehicle maintenance. I'll start digging around junkyards to try and find a used engine. Should I look for a 2004 and newer to prevent running into the same issue with the oil pump? Will it swap in without issue?

Old 05-29-2011 | 08:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle

The 04 is no guarantee of not having oil pump issues. The fact yours made it into the 90k range idicates it wasn't misaligned dowls causing the problem.

Old 05-29-2011 | 10:24 AM
Winching

I agree with 94svt50, I don't think it matters much at this point.

Mike said you could get a short block and swap parts around. Sure you can, if you want to put $4500 worth of parts and $4000 worth of labor into a truck that's barely worth that much.

Or you could spend $3k total on a junk motor with about the same mileage plus installation.

If you can do any of this yourself, it might change the equation for you, but most people don't have the time, facilities, tools, or interest in doing jobs like this.

Old 05-29-2011 | 12:55 PM
Winching

there is an outfit out of washington State, I will look for their contact, Last I looked they had whole engine for 3500. Some say that the truck is not worth that much.. I say with a new engine its a new truck good for another 100k with good upkeep. So its kinda like a new truck that you know..

Old 05-29-2011 | 01:01 PM
Winching

here is the link.. it is oklahoma not washington

Oklahoma European Auto Recyling

Old 05-29-2011 | 01:15 PM
|
8th Gear
Default re; engine

ok. thanks for the info. I can swap the engine myself. I have too many vehicles, so I'd be looking to sell it once it's running, unless I can offload it as is. I like it, but it's just not reliable enough and repairs are too much to keep it. I've always wanted a defender, that would be worth my efforts and money to keep on the road. Thanks again for the advice.

Old 05-29-2011 | 03:44 PM
|
8th Gear
Default buick engine?

so is the buick block the same as the rover block? I know I should use the updated timing cover from land rover, what other issues should I address while I have the engine out?

Quick Reply: 2003 disco bad oil pump/ engine swap?