Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Disco Front Drive shaft

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Disco Front Drive shaft

I have a 2003 Disco with 53K. I have not had any issues on it yet. I was just reading through a bunch of posts about the front drive shaft. I was wondering if there is a time to replace the shaft? I have not had any issues with it, just saw several posts recommending that it be replaced with zerk fittings. Thanks for the info.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2003 Disco Front Drive shaft

The shaft usually never needs to be replaced.

DIIs have U Joints that are not greasable. This means that they will wear out fast, and when they do wear out the prop shaft will spin and smash a hole in whatever it can reach (your tranny)

With a DII it is recomended to replace the U joints as soon as you buy the car with greasable u joints, and while you are at it get a new centering ball.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:37 PM
Overlanding

Im in the same boat here a lot of mess about it what is the appropriate mi. or is it just asap.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:40 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ChipILM

Im in the same boat here a lot of mess about it what is the appropriate mi. or is it just asap.
ASAP

Old 01-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Mudding

I rebuilt the 2001 SE7 front drive shaft at 96 K Miles, using greasable u-joints. The wear in the u-joint sockets was less than 1/24 of an inch with no other wear, when measured on the bench.

If you are a DII owner that is in tune with your SUV, the drive shaft will give you ample warning before it breaks, it starts with small play radially when twisted by hand, than you will feel light jerk when you back off the accelerator. after few 100 Miles it starts causing a vibration, then it breaks, causing major damage.

The 2004 SE7 has 48 K Miles, original driveshaft in great shape.

The 2000 SD has 80 K Miles, original driveshaft in great shape.

I have developed a habit with these SUVs where every month I slide myself under them and physically / visually inspect drive shafts, joints, discs, transfer case for leaks, brake pads, suspension, exhaust system hangers, etc, etc...

You must not have any play in the drive shaft u-joints radially or side to side and they must not look rusted, heated, dried.

The positioning of the catalytic converter next to the double joint does not help it stay lubricated.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle

To really test the d/s you must drop one end of it. Giving it a pull or a tug won't give you much info about the condition of the u-j's. There was someone last year who just bought a D2, took it to a shop and they said it was fine. They didn't pull it just yanked on it a bit. Halfway through Texas the drive shaft failed and took out the tranny. Get it re-built asap, and service it with every (or every other) oil change and you won't need to worry about it.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:15 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the info. I was just going to put a new Tom Woods in a be done with it.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Even better.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:21 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

You never test it or shake it, you replace it ASAP. Mine failed at 37,000 miles, I was lucky and didn't loose a tranny as many have.
If you don't have greease fittings on your, I would get it rebuilt before this weekend cause it gives you very little if any warning before it goes and then you are looking at a tranny, maybe even a t/case.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:54 PM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: jfry75

I have a 2003 Disco with 53K. I have not had any issues on it yet. I was just reading through a bunch of posts about the front drive shaft. I was wondering if there is a time to replace the shaft? I have not had any issues with it, just saw several posts recommending that it be replaced with zerk fittings. Thanks for the info.
I am about where you mileage wise. I was around 51,000 when my front drive shaft started squeaking like a bird. I was 200 miles from home. Drove it stupidly for a few days after until the chirping was constant. I got it into the shop JUST IN TIME.

I had already bought the parts for around 80 bucks. Had a shop do it for an additional 90 or so. Now it's GREAT!

Quick Reply: 2003 Disco Front Drive shaft