Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 disco II eng/trans problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 12:14 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 disco II eng/trans problem?

I just bought a 2003 disco II w/ 70k miles on it for a great price. It's in great shape but I just took a long drive with it and noticed 2 things. During a cold morning start, the engine taps pretty loud and idles high for a minute or 2 but goes away. Is this normal? Wrong oil weight?
Also, at highway speed 60-70mph when I let my foot off the gas and then reapply it i hear the trans make a slapping or banging sound. Worn universal??
Can anyone help me w/ my new disco and maybe point out some things I should be aware of at this mileage.
Thanks,
Brian

Old 11-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: 2003 disco II eng/trans problem?

The noise you are hearing could be an exhaust leak at one of the manifolds or lifters, both are kind of common and can be fixed. For the lifters, I would suggest you consider doing a good engine flush, clean out alot of sludge and carbon build up.
The clunk you are hearing could be normal all wheel drive Rover drive lash or it coild be your front drive shaft, whioch may need to have the double cardon u-joints replaced.
Send me your tele number by private message and I'll call you and walk you thru what to look at.
Mike

Old 11-27-2006, 03:37 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike,
I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on this. We took my wife's Disco to the dealer earlier this year for the same issues regarding the transmission. They said that because it's an AWD that it's normal. I don't really drive the Disco, so it was a new occurence to me. I was thinking about U joints, but didn't argue with the dealer, either.

Also, info on the flushing would be great!

Thanks,
Steve

Old 11-27-2006, 09:44 PM
6th Gear

Hi Mike,
Thanks so much for your speedy response. 2 questions... How do I flush the engine? Are we talking changing all engine fluids or is there a specific LR method? And I'm running on 87 octane, do you think by using 93 i'll lose that startup knock?
Again thanks for the response. Does anyone know of any persistent problems experienced by a Disco w/ 70k miles?
Thanks,
Brian

Old 11-30-2006, 03:09 AM
Three Wheeling

Brain,
I have a very similar noise when driving 60-80mph, which I thought was "normal" but I noticed that it has gotten much worse all of a sudden. When I let off the gas, there is a clunk and when I get back on there is a clunk. Only happens sometimes and it takes about 10-15 minutes of drive time at these speeds before it will first happen. It never happens at lower speeds. Does this sound like the problem that you are having as well?

Piotr
'02 disco II, 92k miles

Old 11-30-2006, 11:18 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: bal51365

Hi Mike,
Thanks so much for your speedy response. 2 questions... How do I flush the engine? Are we talking changing all engine fluids or is there a specific LR method? And I'm running on 87 octane, do you think by using 93 i'll lose that startup knock?
Again thanks for the response. Does anyone know of any persistent problems experienced by a Disco w/ 70k miles?
Thanks,
Brian
Brian,
87 octane will carbon up your engine so bad the cost of repatrs is way to high just to save a little at the fuel pump. Go to the good stuff and stay with it.
As for the start up knock, what oil and oil filter are you using?
Mike

Old 12-01-2006, 12:02 AM
Overlanding

put the high octane in it....when I bought mine I was fueling up with the cheap stuff like always and the tick began. I went to the high octane and in a few tanks all was well, I checked the owners manual also and it recommends the expensive stuff.

The tranny, mine does it too! In mine, it sounds like backlash, all trannies have some, this rover just seems to have more than most.

BTW, mines an '03 as well.

Old 12-04-2006, 12:55 AM
6th Gear

Okay People, craziest thing just happened...
I was using 87 octane and the check engine soon light came on. Not sure if the 2 are related. I just finished my first full tank of 93 octane and noticed that the engine seemed "quieter" and guess what - the check engine light was out. Coincidence??? Also, can someone explain an engine flush to me due to the build up of carbon and such. It would be greatly appreciated.
Brian

Old 12-04-2006, 03:08 AM
4wd Low

ORIGINAL: bal51365

Okay People, craziest thing just happened...
I was using 87 octane and the check engine soon light came on. Not sure if the 2 are related. I just finished my first full tank of 93 octane and noticed that the engine seemed "quieter" and guess what - the check engine light was out. Coincidence??? Also, can someone explain an engine flush to me due to the build up of carbon and such. It would be greatly appreciated.
Brian
Same thing happened to me. Low octane can cause the engine to misfire, which will trip any one of several CELs. In my case it was because the dealer filled it up with low octane prior to me buying it.
The engine flush is pretty simple. You just drain your oil, put the drain plug back in, put in about 6 qts of ATF, and let the car idle for about 20 minutes. Then drain the ATF, and replace the filter like you normally would.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:42 PM
Administrator

That is a good way to flush the engine. After that if you want the truck to run even better put some SeaFoam o better gas additive in the tank and do an induction cleaning, hugh difference.
Mike

Quick Reply: 2003 disco II eng/trans problem?