Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Disco II engine click

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 05:35 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Disco II engine click

I have an 03 Disco with 80k miles. It has started that engine click that I have seen described on this forum. It only does it when warm, goes away around 1500-2000 rpm, etc.. The even worse news is that my VIN falls within the range of those affected by the bad pump alignments.

My question: will Land Rover fix this or am I screwed?

Thank you in advance for any input.

James

Old 02-14-2010, 06:09 PM
Three Wheeling

You are screwed. Sorry

Old 02-14-2010, 06:39 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same issue and my VIN is also in the same range, but havent had any problems yet besides a new water pump and leaking power steering. My click comes and goes though.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:01 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The tick....

Ya I'm periodically visited by the tick in my 03 disco as well. It's become kinda like an annoying friend; I wonder about if I haven't heard from it in a while.

Cold days= no tick
Hot days = no tick
Mild days = occasional tick.

After doing an induction cleaning followed by an ATF engine flush I can go about 30,000 miles without the tick. But the tick always reimmerges.

I was recently sent an email suggesting I clean the oil pickup tube and strainer. Additionally, it was noted that some 03 pickup tubes were not installed properly and could fall off (very very bad). I just dropped the oil pan and checked the tube. All three bolts were tight and the screen looked perfect.

Wish I could provide better input. The AFT flush seems to "patch" my truck, but I really don't want to make a habit out of the procedure. Definitely use synthetic oil and a quality filter.

MWMG

Old 02-15-2010, 12:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're screwed, eight ways from Sunday.

Better start looking into doing an engine swap.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:04 AM
4th Gear

Thanks for the info. This truck has been so well maintained; even with the 80k miles, it is in otherwise near perfect shape. It has never been abused, never been off-road.

My problems began when I got an AFT flush. Truck developed an oil leak. The LR tech suggested I try one of the sealers off the shelf at Autozone to avoid the expensive main seal replacement. Less than a thousand miles later, I got the click. When I had the leak, I maintained the oil levels, so it never ran low.

My plan:
1. Replace the oil pressure sending unit.
2. Drop the pan.
3. Inspect the tube, pump, screen, and whatever I can see.
4. Put it all back together. If I still have the click...
5. Drive it through the showroom floor at LR. Okay, just kidding about that part. That just brings a smile to my face, which I need right now. It's just that I don't have the time to do these things myself nor the money to pay someone else to do it.

Thanks again, everyone.

James

Old 02-15-2010, 07:41 AM
Three Wheeling

I hate to say this but, My 03 developed the tick and 2 days later is now sitting with the oil pump gears destroyed in the front cover... The tick is the last sign b/f these machines go into self destruct mode... I would highly advise everyone with this tick to replace the gears asap and keep all receipts of work and parts performed... My 03 did not tick until warm and the same scenario happened to me just b/f she failed, lucky enough she was sitting in the driveway at the time with a ford mechanic under the hood looking at her... I will only comment at this time that there are some things in motion that may eventually help all of us with these 4.6's in a grand way, just hang in there and keep your receipts...!!!

Old 02-15-2010, 09:47 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Well, now that you have been told you are screwed, tell us if it is an internal or external click?
If internal, then get your oil pressure tested, cold at idle and at 2000 RPM's and warm at idle and at 2000 RPM's and get back to us.
If external, check for a cracked exhaust manifold or bad seal leak.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:51 PM
Three Wheeling

yupp youre screwed. i havent driven mine in 4 payments now. your best bet is to buy an engine out of an 04 or 99-02 range

Old 02-15-2010, 06:20 PM
4th Gear

Mike,

Internal or external...therein lies some of the problem. While not a mechanic, I am somewhat mechanically inclined. My initial instinct was that the noise was external. I just can't seem to tell. It is louder under the truck then from the top under the hood.

My mechanic has a part-time shop and he can't get to it until this weekend or sometime in the middle of next week. He is not experienced with LR. Where is the best place for him to attach his pressure gauge?

Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge here.

James