Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Disco II Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 08:51 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Disco II Vibration

Hi All, I have a 2003 with 59000 miles on it. I purchased it last Tue. I did not notice any vibrations while test driving and for 2 days after it was home. Now I have a vibration @ 55-70, not sure over 70 as I do not drive that fast. I do not hear any noise but the steering wheel does shake in my hand. I have read about the front drive shaft issue and the destruction it can cause when it fails. I will check it out today but it does not seem like that kind of a vibration.
I know there were many changes made to the 2003 model, was there any in the drive train? If it is a bad U joint in the front shaft, can I run the truck with the shaft removed until I fix it?

Thanks all
-Darin

Old 06-22-2009, 09:15 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

No you cannot drive the truck with the front driveshaft removed...it just wont move.
Since you just bought it take it back to the dealer, in most states you have 7 buisness days/300 miles to have any issues resolved or get your money back.
Have their mechanic check the hubs, wheel balance, warped rotors, etc.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes you can run the truck "gently" in 2WD............BUT only if you have a CDL (centre differential lock), the fact that your truck is a 2003 means its "unlikely" you have one, if you have not (as suspected) your stuffed, if either the front or rear shaft is out, you wont go nowhere.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:25 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks guys.

Good news. All Joints front and rear are solid and in good shape. They are not the grease-able ones so they will get changed out but at least it will be on my schedule and not an emergency.
I looked at the tires and wear looks nice and even but I did notice what appears to be a spot were a wheel weight might have been on one front rim. I will take it to the tire shop and have the balance checked on all 4 to verify this is or is not the issue.

Thanks again for the replys....and you are all correct, no diff lock on mine.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:31 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by reddevildemo
Thanks guys.

North American Spec 2003 equals no CDL.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by reddevildemo
Thanks guys.

Good news. All Joints front and rear are solid and in good shape. They are not the grease-able ones so they will get changed out but at least it will be on my schedule and not an emergency.
I looked at the tires and wear looks nice and even but I did notice what appears to be a spot were a wheel weight might have been on one front rim. I will take it to the tire shop and have the balance checked on all 4 to verify this is or is not the issue.

I would like to say you have made a foolish statement. First there is no way for a person to look and shake a u-joint, especially a double cardon and say they are fine.
You should stop driving that truck this morning, NO EXCEPTION, and find a shop that can rebuild that shaft adding 2 new u-joints and a centering ball kit for around $250. The other end of it, is that if it fails, you are looking at a $4000 to $5000 repair.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:58 AM
Three Wheeling

Mike,
So even up in the air, no tension on the drive system, one can not tell if they are bad just by getting or not getting any "slop" in them?
I had a vibration on my Suburban and that is how I narrowed it down to the rear U joint on the rear shaft. I am in no way contradicting what you are saying as I am sure you have far more experience on this than I. I am simply asking for my troubleshooting skill building.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:00 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You are no longer driving a Chevy, you have u-joints that can not be greased, get them replaced with a new centering ball kit or look for a bib bill in the future.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:02 PM
Three Wheeling

Ok, thanks Mike. I am looking for a shop now.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:19 PM
Three Wheeling

Mike, would you or anyone know what the part numbers are for the U joints and centering ball kit?

Again, for a 2003 Disco II front shaft.

Quick Reply: 2003 Disco II Vibration