Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Disco your on your own

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2003 Disco your on your own

If you have 03 Disco with a VIN between 3A771801= TO= 3A808362
Rover wont assist you with replacement costs for and engine with a failed oil pump..
Unless the vehicle is still under some extended factory warranty.
I was looking at buying a used 03 SE and it has about 81K on it and its running OK with a VIN # in this range,
but the oil pump failures seem to happen between 50K and 90K.
So its borrowed time.

So does anyone here know how to remedy the oil pump failure without replacing the whole engine??

Old 12-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I don't believe there is one, due to it being a problem with the engine as opposed to the actual pump.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Winching

all i can say is you better get a great deal for that rig.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrmerlin
If you have 03 Disco with a VIN between 3A771801= TO= 3A808362
Rover wont assist you with replacement costs for and engine with a failed oil pump..
Unless the vehicle is still under some extended factory warranty.
I was looking at buying a used 03 SE and it has about 81K on it and its running OK with a VIN # in this range,
but the oil pump failures seem to happen between 50K and 90K.
So its borrowed time.
Tell us something we dont know :P (just kidding I didnt know about it until I had bought mine )

Dont panic. There are several '04s that are also affected. Most failures occur BEFORE 50k. If you really want peace of mind get an extended warranty from a place like US Fidelis, they quoted me $350 a month for 18 months and fully covered for full 3 years.

If not drive it carefully, get an oil pressure gauge and watch it. If it drops pull over as soon as safe, get it towed to a local repair place. Have oil pump replaced and keep an eye on it again.

No guarantees in life but death and taxi's, (damn yellow fiends). Anyones engine can go nuclear one day going to the store. IMHO enjoy your truck and be mindful of the oil pressure.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Three Wheeling

I'm confused - granted, this oil pump issue has been a big deal, but how would it be right to expect LR to do anything about an oil pump failure on a truck that is 31k miles / 3 years out of warranty?

Old 12-09-2009, 12:54 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm confused - granted, this oil pump issue has been a big deal, but how would it be right to expect LR to do anything about an oil pump failure on a truck that is 31k miles / 3 years out of warranty?
That is part of it. Is it right of them to decline you help, no. Will and can they? Yes lol. Check your service records, you might have a very young engine in there vs. one that is about to blow. To answer your question about whether its repairable, it is a defect in the engine block. So to fix it you need a new block.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

There may be another way to fix the issue. The dowel pins that help align the oil pump are off by I dont know how much. This slight off set puts more stress on the oil pump and then destroys it. So the pumps are fine, it is their relationship mounted to the block that kills them.

Solution, maybe remove the dowel pins and just use the 9 bolts to align it... which i hear might be a PITA...

Oil Pump Failure Tech Alert

Old 12-09-2009, 08:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jycsalas
There may be another way to fix the issue. The dowel pins that help align the oil pump are off by I dont know how much. This slight off set puts more stress on the oil pump and then destroys it. So the pumps are fine, it is their relationship mounted to the block that kills them.

Solution, maybe remove the dowel pins and just use the 9 bolts to align it... which i hear might be a PITA...

Oil Pump Failure Tech Alert
I've read that, too.

I wonder if a temporary dowel pin made of wood or plastic would help get it started? That is, it would hold the front cover in place long enough to get it bolted but would pliable so that it wouldn't place any stress on it.

However, I really wonder if the 9 bolts will do a good enough job of holding it place and not allowing leaks around the gasket. Also, if the fix were that simple, wouldn't Land Rover pursue this course of action rather than spend thousands out of pocket replacing the entire engine?

I've an oil leak coming from that part of my engine (10,000 miles after an oil pump failure/replacement). Perhaps I'll entertain the idea of removing the pins and see if it makes a difference.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by meltdowndave
I've read that, too.

I wonder if a temporary dowel pin made of wood or plastic would help get it started? That is, it would hold the front cover in place long enough to get it bolted but would pliable so that it wouldn't place any stress on it.

However, I really wonder if the 9 bolts will do a good enough job of holding it place and not allowing leaks around the gasket. Also, if the fix were that simple, wouldn't Land Rover pursue this course of action rather than spend thousands out of pocket replacing the entire engine?

I've an oil leak coming from that part of my engine (10,000 miles after an oil pump failure/replacement). Perhaps I'll entertain the idea of removing the pins and see if it makes a difference.
You bring up a good point. Removing dowel pins may be too big of a risk/liability for Rover.

I have never done this kinda job so i would have no idea what implications there will be attempting such a repair. i don't know how much play there would be without the pins. I like the idea of non metal pins. If ANYONE does this, I hope they take pictures!

Old 12-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Three Wheeling

I also have a 03 well inside the vin range... I like the sounds of altering pins and such, I am a tool maker by trade and while reading what everyone is saying sparked a notion that we need to find out from rover how far out of alignment the pins / holes are in the block and what direction... Then, alter the alignment pin holes on the new front cover so it relieves the stress once bolted on... It would make sense to machine the holes on the new front covers for the pins to align correctly rather than messing with the holes in the engine block itself... Not sure why rover has not already done such a thing.

Quick Reply: 2003 Disco your on your own