Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Discovery Oil Pressure Light Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 09:05 AM
Administrator
Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts
Default RE: 2003 Discovery Oil Pressure Light Engine Failure

Bottom line, Rover will not participate in the replacement of these engines.
It is tough but that is the bottom line. TATA will not except any responsibility for this Rover issue.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:25 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

[/quote]

Is your VIN in the TSB range of affected vehicles? I'm just curious. It seems like some within the range end up fine, and then I have heard that there are some OUTSIDE the range that go. I have a 2003 also that is outside the range...it still worries me.

[/quote]

Annie-If the oil light comes on while driving pull over and shut it off, if it (oil light)starts to flicker when idleing shut it off and have it looked at.
You will have warning signs, oil light flickering, noisey engine and oil light while driving.
A severe loss of power while driving with no oil light can be a sign also.
Just make sure that you use full synthetic motor oil, change it every 5,000 miles and remember that it is just a car.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:37 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a car that I'm making payments on. If I didn't owe money on it, I might not be so worried...I'm just paranoid something is going to blow up. Part of me would like to think that my Disco was one of the first to be corrected, since it was made the same month the TSB came out, and I'm hoping that LR knew about the problem and fixed it before they put the TSB out. I rationalize stuff in the oddest way

Old 11-17-2008, 09:42 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I understand completly, payments or not I would be worried too.
You are not the only woman who rationalizes things weirdly, they all do.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:06 PM
3rd Gear

I had a friend with an 04, that had this happen on the highway - he literally ground to halt. The dealer in Toronto, Canada replaced the engine with no problems at no cost.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Mudding

Yet another reason I should move to Canada

ETA: It was definitely the oil pump??

Old 02-13-2009, 03:25 PM
1st Gear

I just purchased an 03 Discovery S with 59,000 miles about 4 months ago. Same problem with me. Driving on the highway, Oil Light comes on, 1 mile later whole engine seizes. I towed it to the dealer for service, they said it was 4 quarts low on oil and they don't know where it went. I had had my oil changed recently. Where do 4 quarts of oil go? I would love to hear more information about the class action.

Oh and my Discovery is just outside the VIN range (Above it).

Old 02-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ford may be denying the as many engine replacements as possible, as they do not want to open up a can of worms and have TATA back out of the deal. I can tell you first hand, I worked for a company that was being sold and from a routine state exam the whole deal of a 1.3 Billion dollar sale fell through as the buyer had a third party examine operations in all the other states. When all the facts surfaced, the buyer backed out.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:50 AM
KBW
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My engine isn't leaking (no oil on ground in garage) yet the oil is definitely lower than the fill line when I pulled the stick. I'm going to change the oil, do a flush, change the oil again to synthetic, use a mobil 301 filter and then keep my eye on it. My Vin falls within the bad ones (mine is 3a800436) and I about cried when I found out. If only I knew this when I bought the vehicle. I've had no lights come on (other than the amigos but they went away when I changed the brakes) and the engine has ran very smoothly so far (other than a noise but that was a loose cover). I have low miles on my 03 but this scares the hell out of me. My buddy that is helping me work on it builds/rebuilds engines for a living and I'll have him take an in depth look at it sometime next week.

Last edited by KBW; 02-28-2009 at 12:52 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:19 AM
Administrator
Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by finny
I had a friend with an 04, that had this happen on the highway - he literally ground to halt. The dealer in Toronto, Canada replaced the engine with no problems at no cost.
If it was covered in Canada, the truck was still under warranty. Yes, it "COULD have been" the oil pump but it wasn't caused by the ,"QOTE" bad engine, just a failure.
By the way 04's didn't have that faulty molded engine blocks.

Last edited by Disco Mike; 02-28-2009 at 09:26 AM. Reason: add on

Quick Reply: 2003 Discovery Oil Pressure Light Engine Failure