Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Discovery - Windows & Power Locks

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011 | 01:22 PM
|
5th Gear
Unhappy 2003 Discovery - Windows & Power Locks

I just bought a 2003 Discovery and a couple of days later the driver front window stopped working ??? How do I know if it's the regulator or motor and how would I go about fixing it myself??

Also, when I unlock the doors with my key remote, the passenger front door does not unlock, so I have to reach over and unlock it. It also doesn't lock when I set the alarm with my key remote. Any suggestions?

Old 03-23-2011 | 02:54 PM
Mudding

The window is likely the motor if you cannot hear it move when you hit the switch. I would access the plug at the motor and check it with a test light as you use the switch.
The door lock is probably the Lock Actuator, I just did mine. Same test, check it with a test light as you lock/unlock with the Central Lock button. It is getting signal to the actuator but not working, it is the actuator.
This will be a good intro to Rover Mechanics if you are new. Welcome to the club.

Old 03-23-2011 | 03:23 PM
|
5th Gear

Thanks for the quick response 'thospb' . . . . . any suggestions on where to purchase a window motor and lock actuator? I've looked around online for the window motor and found a couple of places online - Atlantic British Ltd and Rovers North. Also, is there any major difference of buying an actual "land rover" part vs. another brand such as "ProLine"?

Old 03-23-2011 | 03:35 PM
Mudding

I would shop around, and don't forget EBAY. Often the regular parts-people will get a shipment and put it on EBAY at a lower price then they advertise on their own site. So far I have used Atlantic British, OEMonlineParts/ Lucky8, British Pacific, Parts Geek. Compare prices between them.
I have no problem using non-OEM parts as long as I know where it came from. A reputable vender will stand behind it if there is a problem.

Old 03-23-2011 | 03:37 PM
Mudding

On some items, such as a Front Propellor Shaft, I would avoid the original Land Rover part as it has a known weakness (not fully greasable). Often, the aftermarket parts will improve upon the original.

Old 03-23-2011 | 03:56 PM
|
5th Gear

Thanks!!!

Old 03-23-2011 | 05:52 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Quarterbroad
Thanks for the quick response 'thospb' . . . . . any suggestions on where to purchase a window motor and lock actuator? I've looked around online for the window motor and found a couple of places online - Atlantic British Ltd and Rovers North. Also, is there any major difference of buying an actual "land rover" part vs. another brand such as "ProLine"?
Ebay then Will @ roverguy

Got the motor from ebay for 20.00 Shipped from a guy parting out. SCORE!!!

Old 03-24-2011 | 11:35 AM
|
5th Gear

Thanks for the info FightOnUSC79. Hopefully I'll be lucky enough to find something on ebay!

Old 03-24-2011 | 04:17 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Quarterbroad
Thanks for the info FightOnUSC79. Hopefully I'll be lucky enough to find something on ebay!

Anytime and hopefully youll find it. Also, I make it a habit to search ebay for spare parts just about every week just for deals even if i dont need the part at the moment... as i know i will eventually.

Old 03-25-2011 | 08:08 AM
Rock Crawling

I did a write-up on motor/regulator repairs. I wasn't sure how to get it into the sticky, but here you go...

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-repair-34345/

It's easy - just take your time.

Ed

Quick Reply: 2003 Discovery - Windows & Power Locks