Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Land Rover Discovery Lifter Noise? Need Special Tools?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Land Rover Discovery Lifter Noise? Need Special Tools?

Just bought a 03 Discovery SE7 with 65k Miles. I bought it knowing it had engine problems. I have the check engine light on and it says Cylinder-6 Misfire. When i bought it from the previous owner it had no oil in it at all. NONE. But who knows how long they been driving it like that. I immediately ave it a oil change and it didn't help. Anyways I see sparks from the plugs and hear lifter noise. I think it's the lifters but not sure.

I'm thinking either lifter or maybe the oil pump?

How do you guys suggest I diagnose this further?
Should I open the valve covers and check the lifters?

Is there a special tool required to open the valve covers? If so what's it called.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Why did you even buy it and I hope you didn't pay more then $2000 for it cause with the 03 oil pump/engine failure issue going on I bet you will be looking at an engine.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by umoms
Just bought a 03 Discovery SE7 with 65k Miles. I bought it knowing it had engine problems. I have the check engine light on and it says Cylinder-6 Misfire. When i bought it from the previous owner it had no oil in it at all. NONE. But who knows how long they been driving it like that. I immediately ave it a oil change and it didn't help. Anyways I see sparks from the plugs and hear lifter noise. I think it's the lifters but not sure.

I'm thinking either lifter or maybe the oil pump?

How do you guys suggest I diagnose this further?
Should I open the valve covers and check the lifters?

Is there a special tool required to open the valve covers? If so what's it called.

These all alum engines are sludge factories if not maintained.

So does the oil pressure light come on with the key?
Does it go off when you start it? (within 1-2sec?)

It may be full of sludge, causing sticking lifters (common)

If the oil light is working & it runs decent, I'd drive it nicely for a couple hundred miles with an oil detergent additive in it.

I'd change the oil again with another bottle of additive and keep doing it until the lifters free up (probably) - every 500mi with a decent filter (not a $3 fram)

Use a decent 10/40 to start and see how it goes.

Any harm's already done, but these are pretty rubust.

Here's the bad.
SOME 03's had oil pump failures based on VIN #'s -- write yours and call the dealer, you may be ok.

Even if your's is in the group, I don't know if engine failure is certain.

Soon, go thru' every fluid and change (SEE Mike's 60k service)

Let us know how it goes in any event, please. AND WELCOME

luck,greg

Last edited by greg409; 04-06-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Mudding

Wow... Where to start. Compression test on all cyls. When you know what that looks
like then you can pull the affected valve cover and inspect the pushrods and rocker assembly.. Misfire codes might have nothing to do with the noise. A misfire could be from a bad plug wire or coil pack or plug. Do a comp
test and let us know that to start with.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:59 PM
Three Wheeling

Wow so it takes a few hundred miles of driving for the oil to build up in the lifters? What oil detergent do you recommend?

No oil pressure light is on.

Any special tools to get to the lifters?

Old 04-06-2010, 09:08 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Well oil additives are generally looked down upon but in your case I bet your engine is a mess inside. I would recommend doing a few short oil change intervals of 1000 miles or 1 month using 1 quart of marvel mystery oil ($12/gallon at walmart) and the rest Rotella 15w40 ($25 per 2.5 gallons). Cut open the oil filters and check for sludge buildup. Don't use a solvent flush as you may clog up your oil pickup screen. Change your plugs and wires also.

To get to the lifters you need to remove the lower IM and everything on top of that. Not a terrible job but I would try 3 oil changes with the rotella and mmo.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:22 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by umoms
Wow so it takes a few hundred miles of driving for the oil to build up in the lifters? What oil detergent do you recommend?

No oil pressure light is on.

Any special tools to get to the lifters?
Does the oil light come on with the key? - before you start it?

The lifters try to fill instantly, but if your sludged up because the mensa who owned it b/4 you rarely changed the oil, you are gifted with the results of his ignorance.

(don't feel bad, it happens) - Now, you can tear down your motor, as I am, or try to resolve it over time.

don't get too radical with engine flushing, as it will rapidly break loose the sludge, plugging, grinding, generally adding wear & tear to your engine.

Go to the auto parts, buy ANY reputable engine flushing agent that states you can add and drive. -- these take longer to clean, but they are less likely to dissolve large chunks of crap.

The 15-40 Lipadj46 mentioned above is great oil, I use it, but I think given that your going to change it EVERY 500 MILES or so until the lifter(s) stop ticking, I'd use castrol gtx 10-40 high mileage/ anti-sludge. It may not be a big deal.

The main thing is to drain out the guck.

The K&N hp-3001 is an excellent oil filter, but @ $15, I went back to a WIX - 51068 - $8-10
also good.

In order to change the lifters, the whole top of the engine comes apart, valve covers, intake, fuel injection, valley cover, etc. No small job.

Again, you may be into it for another $100 this way, but I think it'll help resolve your lifter tick, if that's what it is.

luck,greg

Last edited by greg409; 04-07-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:21 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by greg409

The 15-40 Lipadj46 mentioned above is great oil, I use it, but I think given that your going to change it EVERY 500 MILES or so until the lifter(s) stop ticking, I'd use castrol gtx 10-40 high mileage/ anti-sludge. It may not be a big deal.
The 15w40 has more of everything (detergents, antiwear additives, better basestock etc) than the castrol could ever dream of having and will be a much better oil in general.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:55 AM
1st Gear
Default Lifter Issues

Hello All,

I'm new to the Land Rover world. I just bought a 2003 Discovery with 112K on it. The engine was running fine until I had the oil changed. Now there is a very loud lifter sound coming from the engine. I have read this thread and was wondering if flushing my engine out would reduce or eliminate the noise. The mechance suggested synthetic oil, so would that have anything to do with the sudden change. Any help or suggestion on this would be great.

Thanks,
Andy

Old 05-19-2014, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

It's probably not a lifter.

Quick Reply: 2003 Land Rover Discovery Lifter Noise? Need Special Tools?