Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 landrover discovery. won't move. turns on go to put in gear won't move

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 08:17 AM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Six-pack could also be a snapped axle as the 03 is open open open but diff is more likely
Yes sir, that's correct, unlikely, but it could be an axle, and probably the passenger side if it is.
Thanks for adding that.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:43 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
If the truck is in drive, and the rear driveshaft is turning, but the truck won't move, then the ring and pinion and/or spider gears in the differential are broken.
Fortunately, the entire center section of the differential unbolts and lifts out.
You must remove the rear wheels, and then pull out the axles.
You can buy a used differential and put it back together.
It's not a bad job.
Thank you. I will let you all know when I can get under it. Unfortunately, being that this last weekend was mother's day weekend, I didn't have a chance to work on it. Hopefully I can get to it this weekend.
Would putting the rear end up on jack stands and putting the rig in drive help me narrow down wether it is one of the axles or rear diff? Also, please pardon if this is a stupid question, but why wouldn't the front drive shaft be spinning?

Old 05-14-2018, 10:57 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Scjnapnel
Thank you. I will let you all know when I can get under it. Unfortunately, being that this last weekend was mother's day weekend, I didn't have a chance to work on it. Hopefully I can get to it this weekend.
Would putting the rear end up on jack stands and putting the rig in drive help me narrow down wether it is one of the axles or rear diff? Also, please pardon if this is a stupid question, but why wouldn't the front drive shaft be spinning?
Firstly check whether the hi/lo lever is fully engaged in hi ratio?

If the rear driveshaft is turning under real power but not the front driveshaft it may be the centre diff is kaput in the transfer box.

On a 2003 D2 if the front driveshaft is removed or diff is kaput the rear will not drive the truck forward unless you have a CDL due to the centre diff spinning.

If you put all the axles, front and rear, on axle stands the problem, if any, will become evident.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:05 PM
TReK
Received 760 Likes on 628 Posts

why wouldn't the front drive shaft be spinning?
The 2003 does not have a locking centre differential (aka transfer case). That means that the output from the engine can go to either one -- or both -- of the driveshafts, depending on the slip situation.
A locking transfer case splits the power so that both driveshafts spin regardless of slip.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Also, please pardon if this is a stupid question, but why wouldn't the front drive shaft be spinning?
Lightly apply your emergency brake. That will lock the rear driveshaft. With the rear driveshaft locked, does the front axle begin to turn?

Old 05-15-2018, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by mollusc
The 2003 does not have a locking centre differential (aka transfer case). That means that the output from the engine can go to either one -- or both -- of the driveshafts, depending on the slip situation.
A locking transfer case splits the power so that both driveshafts spin regardless of slip.
Yep, I know unless a CDL has been retrofitted as the 2003 relies solely on TC for traction as mine does. Some fit the earlier or later CDL or even transfer boxes to allow offroading.

In this case I think the OP has an issue within the transfer case which is either the hi/lo linkage not engaging properly or the centre diff planet gears are toast.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:01 AM
TReK
Received 760 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Yep, I know unless a CDL has been retrofitted as the 2003 relies solely on TC for traction as mine does. Some fit the earlier or later CDL or even transfer boxes to allow offroading.

In this case I think the OP has an issue within the transfer case which is either the hi/lo linkage not engaging properly or the centre diff planet gears are toast.
The current questioner is the one who was asking about why the front driveshaft wouldn't spin. I wasn't explaining this to you, since you probably already know it.
I do like No Doubt's approach to diagnosing the problem.

The following users liked this post:
No Doubt (05-15-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by mollusc
The current questioner is the one who was asking about why the front driveshaft wouldn't spin. I wasn't explaining this to you, since you probably already know it.
I do like No Doubt's approach to diagnosing the problem.
X1 ............ I agree with you, No Doubt's solution should be good.

Apologies for any misunderstanding over my earlier posting.

The following users liked this post:
No Doubt (05-15-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 08:07 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by No Doubt
Lightly apply your emergency brake. That will lock the rear driveshaft. With the rear driveshaft locked, does the front axle begin to turn?

Upon further investigation I found that the emergency brake cable is broken.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:18 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Firstly check whether the hi/lo lever is fully engaged in hi ratio?

If the rear driveshaft is turning under real power but not the front driveshaft it may be the centre diff is kaput in the transfer box.

On a 2003 D2 if the front driveshaft is removed or diff is kaput the rear will not drive the truck forward unless you have a CDL due to the centre diff spinning.

If you put all the axles, front and rear, on axle stands the problem, if any, will become evident.
It is fully engaged in hi. I put the truck up on stands and ran it. i was able to turn the rear wheels by hand while the rig was in drive and reverse and the rear drive shaft was spinning. The front wheels started spinning at around 2000rpm.

Quick Reply: 2003 landrover discovery. won't move. turns on go to put in gear won't move