Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 oil pump, problem or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 03:25 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Why do you think you need to replace all that steering gear? at 70K it's still a 'babe' and highly unlikely the tie rod ends are blown and even more so the upper and lower ball/swivel joints. Unless the previous owner has been running around for years with front wheels seriously out of balance it's highly unlikely these steering parts are defective, particularly the upper and lower ball joints.
I am new to this, and when I was checking this vehicle before I bought it, I brought my friend who is a mechanic. He pointed out a few things. As for the tie rod ends, they were in working order, except the rubber covers were gone and the joints were dry. I need to look at them more closely. I believe it was the same thing from the ball joints, they are functional but should be fixed/replaced befroe it is a bigger issue. He also recommended resurfacing the brakes.

I want to get many years from this truck and I really don't want to have anything catastrophic happen, or atleast I don't want to have to afford it. Fortunately, we got the rover for less than our budget so I have some room to do as complete overhaul as I can and nip issues in the bud.

i'm going to start a new thread for my project. Thanks everyone, I really do appreciate the advice.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:06 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by cogsley
I am new to this, and when I was checking this vehicle before I bought it, I brought my friend who is a mechanic. He pointed out a few things. As for the tie rod ends, they were in working order, except the rubber covers were gone and the joints were dry. I need to look at them more closely. I believe it was the same thing from the ball joints, they are functional but should be fixed/replaced befroe it is a bigger issue. He also recommended resurfacing the brakes.

I want to get many years from this truck and I really don't want to have anything catastrophic happen, or atleast I don't want to have to afford it. Fortunately, we got the rover for less than our budget so I have some room to do as complete overhaul as I can and nip issues in the bud.

i'm going to start a new thread for my project. Thanks everyone, I really do appreciate the advice.
Hi, in the land of Rover spend wisely and spend once these Rover parts ain't cheap. You did right in taking someone with knowledge along with you. I would prioritise a list of jobs to do on the truck and work through those. Most of these guys on here are very experienced with Rovers and know what will cause issues and what won't.

I have an old maxim I stick by "if it ain't broke don't fix it" routine maintenance is 'god' but tampering for the sake is wasted time and dosh. Sunday morning 'mechanics' with nothing to do are the worst they fiddle around with stuff they often know nothing about after (mis)reading yet another mag and create a problem, maladjust or break something unnecessarily. There is only one book worth reading about Rovers, it's the RAVE manual, it's all in there, everything you'll ever need to know, if you read and absorb the contents you'll be well on your way.

Good luck, oh and by the way, I forgot to say earlier, enjoy your purchase they are great fun and not as unreliable as many think.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:20 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

New Roll Over owner

start a new post with your problems, we will be glad to help.
this post is getting deep.

Last edited by drowssap; 07-31-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:09 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
New Roll Over owner

start a new post with your problems

sorry I should have pushed this response ....duh

Old 07-31-2014, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm Off-Road

Originally Posted by Yoops Racing
Wow this is so typical with used D2s...unfortunately I think it is a 50/50 gamble. It was for me. Call Steve at CannibalV8 or GPR for a better than rebuilt. Sorry man been there done that
Okay thanks for the direction. So if the engine needs to be replaced... can i have a 2001 engine dropped in the 2003? I have a friend that has one... the engine has 93,000 i started it and did not hear the infamous ticking and it looked the same. the difference is 2001 4.0, and the 2003 is 4.6.

I'm so new to this.

anyway i'm putting the 1995 Grand Cherokee back on the road with 240,956 miles as we speak.