Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 DII Oil Light Came On

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 07:28 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2004 DII Oil Light Came On

Hey guys,

Mandy and I just got back with our used travel trailer that we just bought for our Colorado trip in a few weeks.

I don't have light or brakes yet, so I took back roads and went 30-35 the whole way home.

The 3,200 17' trailer towed very nicely, and I kept it in 3rd & in sport-mode the whole way home.

The weird thing is, the Disco sat (off) for about 10 minutes and when I went to start it up, the oil-pressure light came on while idling. I bumped the throttle, and it went off, and returned to an idle, and the light stayed off.

It hasn't came back on yet, but I wanted to tell you guys about it.

The oil level is good, and it has 2,500 mile old Mobile One full synthetic Extended-Protection with a 3001 K&N oil filter.

Should I be concerned?

Thanks!

Pat

Old 05-31-2009, 07:40 PM
Winching

UPDATE:

After letting it sit for a while, I checked, and it IS about 1/2 quart low... I put about 1/4 quart in it (what I had from the last oil-change), and it's just a bit below the bottom "full" line. I'm going to go grab another quart and bring it up to level.

Very weird!! If you guys have any suggestions for me... please let me know.

Thanks friends,

Pat

Old 05-31-2009, 08:50 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Well Pat here is the bad news, there are a select few '04's that suffer from the same oil pump probelms as the '03's.
There have been 4 or so '04's on this forum since I have joined that have had to buy a new engine because of oil pump failer.

Now here is the good news, if the oil that you used is to thin (5w-30) and you towed the trailer then that stands to reason that the super hot engine oil from working the engine hard got to thin to keep oil pressure at idle.

So, what weight of oil did you use?

Old 05-31-2009, 08:58 PM
Winching

Let's hope the former isn't the case, eh Phil? But, I appreciate your wisdom!

I have 5w-30 in 'er. Is that light enough to cause it? Since I was chugging at 30mph, perhaps the lack of air flow may have contributed?

THANK YOU Phil... tell me straight, doc!

-Pataloones

Old 05-31-2009, 09:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is the exact reason I don't use 5W-30.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:10 PM
Team Owner

Ok, I'll lay it on you bro.
5w-30 is to light of a oil for these engines in warm weather.
It does not contain enough anti wear additives and it gets to thin when hot.
For our climate use either 10w-40 or 15w-50 for the summer time and then 5w-30 for the winter time.
If you will be towing the trailer then def use 15w-50.
If you are only towing the trailer a short distance twice a year then 10w-40 would be fine, but for a cross country trip, 15w-50.
One of the many jobs of motor oil is to cool the engine, it removes heat from the bearings, lubricates and carries dirt to the oil filter.
You were low on oil because as oil thins it burns off easier, so if you had tried to drive across country with that oil you would have been adding a quart or two everytime you got gas.
When towing a trailer the crankcase temps can get as high as 500*F in a gas engine.
I had a book mark of the temps that the top brands and weights of oil burn off at as well as pour points when cold, but I cant find it right now.
Basically it works like this, the lower the first number the easier the oil pumps when cold, the higher the top number the less the oil will thin when hot.
I use Mobil 1 in my truck and the wifes Volvo, 15w-50 for the summer in the Disco, 5w-30 for the winter and I use 10w-40 for her car in the summer and 0w-40 in the winter, I change it at 5,000 miles in both cars.
I use Purolator, NAPA and WIX oil filters, both cars.
Does that help at all Pat?

Old 05-31-2009, 09:36 PM
Winching

Phil, you are amazing. This helps immensely. I will change both of the Discos oil ASAP.

My radiator arrived on Friday for the 2000, so I will be doing that tomorrow as well. Good opportunity to put the new thermostat and serpentine belt on that one, too.

Thanks again, my friend. You're awesome.

Pat

Old 05-31-2009, 09:42 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Disco2Fever
You're awesome.

Pat
Yeah, I know.

Now here is another friendly tip for you, have the brakes and wheel bearings on your trailer checked out before you trip, you dont know the last time the wheel bearings were repacked so that would be cheap peace of mind, and have them check the brake pads while they are in there.
And make sure that you use a Marine Deep cycle battery(s) and that you turn the LP tanks off before you move the trailer.
And that all windows and roof vents are closed before moving as well.
To save weight get your fresh water at the camp ground and dont bring it with you, water is 8.5lbs per gallon so if you carry 25 gallons that is an extra 213lbs of gas sucking weight.
Anti-sway bars are another good thing to have, the trailer shop will know what I mean.
Have fun, any more questions you know where to find me.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:50 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

That is good advise Spike gave. If your trailer is tandem axle the sway bars aren't as critical as with a single axle trailer but still very helpful. I used my 97 Disco to tow my trailer from the storage yard to my house so Disco Mike could borrow it. With the stuff I store in the trailer (yes, my trailer is usually a storage shed on wheels), the trailer weighed about 3000 pounds (2200 pounds of trailer and 800 pounds of crap). Even without a controller for the trailer brakes the Disco handled it just fine. I have my Disco wired for lights but got laid off before I could get a brake controller installed. You'll quickly realize when you get out here to Colorado that there is no such thing as a flat, level road. Everywhere you go involves hills of some degree until you get out to the eastern plains, but no one wants to go there. I use 10w30 Mobil 1 and had no problems.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:33 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AK Rover
I use 10w30 Mobil 1 and had no problems.
DI's have a great big oil cooler, DII's do not.
Thats why our trucks take 7 qts and they take 6.

Quick Reply: 2004 DII Oil Light Came On