Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 DISCO key problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 12:48 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 DISCO key problem

I just bought a 2004 Disco and it only came with one key and the key broke apart into two pieces. I reattached it and it works. Is this common, and any idea on how much it costs for a new key to be made? I am also looking for original floor mats and a retractable cargo cover, any ideas where I should look? Thank you!

[IMG]local://upfiles/12534/D91FFB5764CB46EAAF00E75F81823C8A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-18-2008, 02:05 PM
Mudding
Default RE: 2004 DISCO key problem

my key does the exact same thing, just be easy with it and you should have no problems. the blank is like 100 bucks and then has to be cut and programmed, i was looking at like 200 for an extra. if the dealer was closer and it was cheaper id prob have a second, i just keep track of it. man, i should really have another made.....

Old 12-18-2008, 02:43 PM
Rock Crawling

When I got mine it came with a remote key and a somewhat flat one (like the bigger one in the picture), I wanted an extra so I also went to the stealer to ask about it. They told me the remote one has a chip in it and costs big bucks and the flat one has no chip, they ordereda blank for it and said when it comes in I would have to take it to a locksmith to have it cut because they only cut the chip ones????? It was24 bucks for the blank (not here yet so don't know cost of cut). I asked another brand stealer about the cutting and they agreed, it will have to go to a locksmith, compare LR key to most others - its longer - so thats the route I'll use. I did kinda jump the gun though, when I got home later that day I found blank keys for 10 bucks at roversnorth.com. Never ordered form them so I don't know them. Skip the stealer, get ablank, have a locksmith cut it.

Robert

Old 12-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Mudding

But if the the key with the remote has a chip and the other dosent does it still turn on the car?

Old 12-18-2008, 03:26 PM
2nd Gear

If I make a non-chip key can you still use a chip key? I heard that the code changes every time you use it, so would it screw things up if you use the non-chip one and then next time go back to the one with a chip. I really like the idea of an inexpensive second key for my wife's keyring. Thanks for all of your help.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Mudding

every place i went with a flat key blank they would not cut it due to the factory having the chip. you might have more ,less expensive luck there, but you loose the alarm with the flat keys as well. best of my knowledge. i think the chip comes into play in not starting the car if it is armed with a FOB and then tried to start with the flat key. what i was told neways.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:29 PM
Mudding

in other words, if the truck is armed, you loose the fob, then try to open it with the flat key its going keep going off until it gets a signal from the fob. again all what i was told.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Rock Crawling

Assuming you're mechanically inclined, I have the answer to all your problems. Go to Lowe's, or anywhere that cuts keys that sells Axxess+ keys. Ask them to cut you a key using your original on blank #53. I'm not sure what manufacturer this normally corresponds to, but I'm pretty sure it's Kia or Hyundai. Now, here's where the mechanically inclined part comes in. Right off the bat, it will unlock the doors, but will not crank the engine. Take it home, and very gently remove some more of the key just behind where the machine stopped cutting. Use your original as a visual gauge, just don't put it near the grinder. I did this to get my wife a key to my truck. Also, I work at Lowe's, and our Axxess+ machine has a code checker. I checked my factory fob key and it came up negative. This means that there is no passive chip contained in the key fob. Now, pressing the lock button may in fact arm something on the truck, but using a proper key to unlock the doors does not set off the alarm. My wife has "stolen" my truck before when it was locked with my remote, and it did not set off the alarm or prevent her from cranking the truck.

I believe, if you read your owner's manual, you will find that this information is in there somewhere. Most all auto manufacturers that don't use a coded key will allow you to open the doors and crank the engine without the use of the remote, after all, what would happen if the battery in your remote died. You'd be in exactly the same situation.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

There is NO CHIP IN A LR KEY.
Your remote key needs to be programed because the remote needs to talk to the alarm ECU. The key does NOT need to be programmed, the key will still work even with the remote off of it.
You can lock the doors with the remote and open them with the key and vise versa.
You MUST unlock the drivers door first or you will set off the alarm.
I have ordered from Rovers North and they charge a arm and a leg for shipping and do not give you a tracking ID unless you ask for one.
www.atlanticbritish.com has key blanks.
I see no reason the dealer wont cut you a new key other than that they do not want to mess with it.
Just a FYI, it is $100 to have your remote programed at the dealer.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:11 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Soory, duplicate post.

Quick Reply: 2004 DISCO key problem