Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Disco Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 12:18 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 Disco Won't Start

I'm new to the Land Rover world, just bought my SE7 Discovery last week. Ran great until this morning.

Tried to start it, she cranks like normal and almost starts. Engine hits 1,000 rpm for about 2 seconds and she sputters out. Had another guy listen by the tank, he can't hear the fuel pump.

Here's the kicker - yesterday I put a scanner on it (service engine light has been on since I bought it). It read the following:

Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit (Engine)
Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (Engine)
Manufacturing Control (AT)

So I'm wondering if I have a bad fuel pump, or if the crank sensor somehow shuts off the fuel pump. Just found out the crank sensor would mean no spark, so since I've been driving with the indicator light on that might not be it. The engine will run for a few seconds after cranking. But I still don't know about the other two.

Where do I go from here? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Old 08-01-2020, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

I'd personally check the CPS down on the drivers side under the protective cover. No name units will act all sorts of crazy in my experience. You should be able to get one at your local Auto Zone in a Duralast box which is actually a Bosch unit. Just ask to look at the sensor before you buy it. I've bought a handful from Auto Zone and only 1 was a no name unit. It acted up 2 months down the road, removed it, took it back and exchanged it no questioned asked for a Bosch unit. Other fault could be a gas cap or vacuum leak.

Old 08-01-2020, 12:48 PM
Drifting

I have no idea what a CPS is. Under the hood on the driver's side there's power steering, ABS, brake fluid and air filter

Old 08-01-2020, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Attached to the engine. If you crawl under it and look up directly above the catalytic converter on the drivers side you should see a little grey/silver heatshield with a black/silver harness coming out from it mounted right at the bellhousing of the engine/transmission area. That is your Crank Position Sensor. On a D2 with the Bosch 4.0/4.6 if the CPS acts up you will get a no spark & no fuel condition upon startup condition or you could be running and it just quits at a light and won't restart. 3 things are key for any petrol engine ever made = Air, Fuel, and Spark (electronics). Any of those missing = engine will not run.

Old 08-01-2020, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Image from Google

Old 08-01-2020, 01:36 PM
Drifting

Would that cause the fuel pump to not hum for the first 2 seconds before startup?

The engine will start and run for a few seconds before dying. I know you know a lot more than me on this but town is a long ways away and I really can't afford to buy 2 parts so I'm trying to make sure

Old 08-01-2020, 01:58 PM
Drifting

Guess I'm putting the cart before the horse. I keep forgetting the darned computer told me to replace the CPS.

Now to figure out how to remove the old one. Hardly any work space!

Old 08-01-2020, 02:00 PM
Received 1,151 Likes on 796 Posts

Hard to say I can not hear my fuel pump, from anywhere. There is a fuel pump shut off if you have no spark.

The CPS is cheap 45.00 I think ,it is a pain to replace because of position but if you get a good unit once it is done it is done and you have a code related to it.

Finally you have a 16 year old 4 wheel drive that needed regular maintance new, they need more now. Stuff is going to fail that is just how it is with old vehicles, most of it is easy to fix because of that big engine bay you just need to do it as it comes up.

You have 3 simple possibilities CPS, fuel pump relay, fuel pump. There are a bunch of secondary ignition things that could cause it but that gets involved
  • You can check the relay by swapping it another one sorry I forget which one I have spares
  • Change the CPS there is no other way to fix that code
  • Fuel pump is you last option

The following users liked this post:
Jason Spelts (08-17-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 03:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,190 Likes on 851 Posts

I'd check to see if it has spark.

If it has spark (while cranking, without starting), most likely something other than CPS. If not, change CPS as suggested.

Fuel pressure could be the culprit, since, pump running...doesn't necessarily mean it's creating correct pressure.

Old 08-01-2020, 03:48 PM
Drifting

That's just it - I know there's spark because the engine will not only crank but RUN for several seconds before sputtering out.

I switched the fuel pump relay with the windshield wiper relay, wipers came on so I can rule that one out.

Computer scanner did say to replace the CPS when I checked, but the "service engine soon" indicator has been on for over a week.

Wish there was a better way to diagnose this...

Quick Reply: 2004 Disco Won't Start