Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Discovery: Head Gaskets and Front Drive Shaft?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 11:10 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Discovery: Head Gaskets and Front Drive Shaft?

Hi all, I am having issues with my Rover particulary my front drive shaft and supposedly my head gaskets again. It has had no none issues with the exception of those listed. Here is a little history:

My Discovery II had approx. 60k miles on it when it was in a fender bender which required front end work. After picking it up from the body shop, it began over heating. We pressure tested it and dyed the system to determine if the gaskets were junk, which turned out to be correct. The head work was done at what I thought was a reputable shop here in Houston Texas, but it has since been bought out.

Now my Rover has 87k miles on it. I begin to hear a "clicking" sound. It gets louder under acceleration, and when you let off the gas my Rover doesn't slow down correctly? It feels as if I have the front differential locked (even though it is not). I go to the same shop (which is now owned by someone else) and they inform me it the noise is either A) The front drive shaft or B) The front differential. Well I climbed under the rover (somehow the shop didnt see this ) and found this:

Driver side
2004 Discovery: Head Gaskets and Front Drive Shaft?-imag0150.jpg

From the passenger
2004 Discovery: Head Gaskets and Front Drive Shaft?-imag0154.jpg

I'm assuming this is the problem. I'm trying to determine if this is the sound, or if the "casing" around the shaft could be causing the noise , which would mean the differential case is the issue? Any idea on a repair cost with labor on this?

Thanks for your help ahead of time
Tamu_psd

Old 03-14-2012, 11:31 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

How often do you lube your drive shaft including the slip shaft that is in mention, do you have 1 grease fitting on each of the 3 u-joints?

Old 03-14-2012, 07:26 PM
3rd Gear

It actually has never been greased, I was unaware of this. The Rover has mostly been a street queen. It has only been locked in a few times, with no serious off-roading. Unfortunately, I am out of town until Saturday, I was trying to get a game plan together for when I get home to get this repaired.

If I understand correctly the issue is the slip shaft and not the drive shaft?

Old 03-15-2012, 09:25 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

The slip shaft is part of the drive shaft.
You need help, send me your number and I'll call you this weekend.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:59 AM
3rd Gear

Mike I appreciate your help. I'll send you a private message with my phone number. I am not the most mechanically inclined as you can tell...

Old 11-05-2012, 02:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Land Rover Discovery II Front Drive Shaft 1999-2004

Problem solved, just grease it every oil change.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say that is likely to be causing the noise that your hearing. Now as for the shop missing that is a whole other can of worms. I would no be going there anymore if i were you. That being torn would cause the grease to leak out of your slip and the heat from the catalytic converter to dry out the slip on your drive shaft and cause the drive shaft to snap wiping out your undercarriage. I would not continue to drive this this way as it could result in a major service bill.

I would love to have your business on the front drive shaft! Let me know if i can be of any help. I have history with land rover drive shafts and have many happy customers within this forum and others! And I offer it at a lower cost then the above link thanks hope to hear from you.

Last edited by lr2001silver; 11-05-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Really??? PM me a quote, along with # of grease fittings please!

Old 11-06-2012, 09:44 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

^buy it you won't regret it.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please PM me a quote also. I assumed that my driveshaft was bad becasue everyone on this board stated that if it didn't have a grease fitting on each joint, it needs to be replaced. I think it was already replace by the dealer, but I messed it up, so I order one on eBay from someone in Florida and I've had a slight vibration ever since. It's been a year and I'm super tired of it. (The vibration - Not the truck - Yet )

Quick Reply: 2004 Discovery: Head Gaskets and Front Drive Shaft?