Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Discovery - Loud Rumbly Engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 10:27 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Discovery - Loud Rumbly Engine

Hi all! I'm a new 2004 Discovery owner. LOVE her! My experience with the dealer has been less than however. I've had the car 3 weeks now. Only put 500 miles on her. She's currently at 72000 miles. I have noticed in the past few days that the engine is a little louder than usual when I take her over 50 miles. No weird noises, just lots of rumbling. Sometimes there will be a high whiny noise. Any thoughts on what it could be? What I should look out for? Ask about?

Am taking her to an independent mechanic soon to get her checked out. At this point I'm having doubts about the dealership that I bought it from.

Thanks everyone!
Giverny
2004 Discovery SE V8 72,000 miles

Old 03-02-2010, 01:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Giverny
Hi all! I'm a new 2004 Discovery owner. LOVE her! My experience with the dealer has been less than however. I've had the car 3 weeks now. Only put 500 miles on her. She's currently at 72000 miles. I have noticed in the past few days that the engine is a little louder than usual when I take her over 50 miles. No weird noises, just lots of rumbling. Sometimes there will be a high whiny noise. Any thoughts on what it could be? What I should look out for? Ask about?

Am taking her to an independent mechanic soon to get her checked out. At this point I'm having doubts about the dealership that I bought it from.

Thanks everyone!
Giverny
Be very careful. Are you SURE the noise is coming from the engine or just from the front of the vehicle somewhere? You're at the right mileage for a front driveshaft failure if it has't been replaced already. Do a search here on driveshaft and you'll see what I mean. If it's the driveshaft and it fails, you'll be buying a new transmission too. I'd stop driving it and have it looked at by an experienced indie Rover or driveline shop ASAP.

Dave

Old 03-02-2010, 07:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do NOT drive it anywhere until you can have the front driveshaft checked out. A $50 or $100 tow bill is far less expensive than a new transmission. If it's the driveshaft, it sounds like it is ready to go any time.

Alternatively, if you know how to turn a wrench, you can remove the front driveshaft, engage the Center Differential Lock, and drive her to the shop that way. If not though, have her towed. Make sure you tell the tow driver to tow with the rear wheels on the ground, or even better, on the back of a flat bed.

I cannot stress this enough to you to get it checked out immediately. Ask me how I know.

Last edited by tornado_735; 03-02-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:32 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks everyone!
Giverny
I would suggest you send me your tele number and we talk before you even drive that truck again.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Drifting

Wow, thanks everyone. So now I'm definitely spooked. Few questions:

1. I JUST bought this car and the dealer said they performed a 140 point inspection on it. So is the driveshaft not covered/reviewed before selling the vehicle?
2. Are there any other indicators that would tell me it's the driveshaft? Like an indicator light?
3. How much does a driveshaft run?

Thanks!

Old 03-02-2010, 05:35 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, thanks everyone. So now I'm definitely spooked. Few questions:

1. I JUST bought this car and the dealer said they performed a 140 point inspection on it. So is the driveshaft not covered/reviewed before selling the vehicle?
2. Are there any other indicators that would tell me it's the driveshaft? Like an indicator light?
3. How much does a driveshaft run?

Thanks!
1. it should be, especially on the DII since it could cost you a transmission when it goes out

2. lol..no light (already enough electronics on these things don't give LR any new ideas ) it might make noise, it might just turn loose.

3. $400 new / $200 to rebuild yours

Old 03-02-2010, 06:26 PM
Drifting

Ok so just spoke to the dealer and to an indie mechanic.

The indie mechanic is quoting me $500 for the drive shaft.

The dealer is saying he doubts it's the driveshaft and it may just be wheel alignment since the shakiness i'm feeling is through the steering wheel. As for the loud engine he said he'll have his mechanic check it out, free of charge. I'm still within the 1 month/1,000 mile limited powertrain warranty so hopefully that covers it?

I know so little about cars...but I'm excited to learn more about my Discovery!

Thanks guys! You're the best!!

Old 03-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Read through the stickys on the top of the page to better educate yourself about your truck and cars in general.

You dont need a new driveshaft, you just need yours rebuilt.
Here is what you want your indie shop to do.
Replace all u-joints with the greasable kind and to replace the centering ball too.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Drifting

I can do that. Thanks Spike555! Am taking it to the dealer actually this Thursday. I will be sure to check on the u joints and centering ball.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the whining noise may be your secondary air pump it can be heard from inside the cabin and thats the noise it makes, see about replacing the airfilter for the pump

Quick Reply: 2004 Discovery - Loud Rumbly Engine