Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Discovery - Loud Rumbly Engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 07:42 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will do Mr Merlin!

Old 03-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Drifting

Will do! Thanks Mr Merlin!

Old 03-02-2010, 10:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Giverny
Ok so just spoke to the dealer and to an indie mechanic.

The indie mechanic is quoting me $500 for the drive shaft.

The dealer is saying he doubts it's the driveshaft and it may just be wheel alignment since the shakiness i'm feeling is through the steering wheel. As for the loud engine he said he'll have his mechanic check it out, free of charge. I'm still within the 1 month/1,000 mile limited powertrain warranty so hopefully that covers it?

I know so little about cars...but I'm excited to learn more about my Discovery!

Thanks guys! You're the best!!
The steering wheel is coupled to the front axle...and so is the front driveshaft. You will feel it through the steering wheel too. Shakiness can be tire balance, but the loud engine above 50 mph is very likely not the engine at all. Not sure how else to say it, but whatever you do, stop driving it until it's resolved.

I can think of probably 20 ruined transmissions due to failing driveshafts on this forum in the past 4 years. Most of the discussions started out with precisely what you described, followed by "yeah, maybe I'll take it in Thursday", followed by sobs and tears after the thing lets loose and they say "I didn't think it would do THAT!", the transmission is shot and there's a $5000 repair bill. The 1000 mile warranty usually means they fix it at their shop with whatever parts they have in the bin. Get it fixed correctly now and save yourself the future grief.

Dave

Old 03-03-2010, 07:56 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

I can do that. Thanks Spike555! Am taking it to the dealer actually this Thursday. I will be sure to check on the u joints and centering ball.
Do yourself a favor and stay away from the dealer, they will charge you to look at it, won't rebuild it but will offer you another new one for around $800 plus labor that will have the same problem, 2 missing grease fittings.
When you get done and still have a question, lets talk as I suggested earlier and I'll walk you thru this.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:17 AM
Drifting
Default The story continues...

Alright boys and gals...the story continues.

I left the car at the dealership last night with a list of things they need to look at and get back to me about - one of them being the loud engine and drive shaft. I get a call this morning from the sales guy. The convo went like this:

Sales Guy: Hi, my mechanic and I took the car for a drive and the noise we noticed...we think it's your rear tires. They are cupped. That's most likely what's causing the noise.
Me: Did you check the drive shaft?
Sales Guy: No, we will...but we think you'll need new tires.
Me: Well I think you're wrong. 1, when I bought the car, the tires were different. I think you put old tires on my car when you did your 140 point inspection which you still won't give me the details on. 2. The noise is coming from the FRONT of the vehicle. It's LOUD and RUMBLY. How would rear tires affect that? Maybe somewhat but not to the extent that it is. 3. The car was struggling to get uphill. It's a V8! and lastly, if my drive shaft goes, it's punching a hole in the transmission so you need to check that immediately.

I don't want to play the female card but really now this is getting ridiculous.

So would rear tires being cupped contribute to a loud rumbly engine???

Let me know guys!

Old 03-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as far as the tires go make sure they are all the same brand on all 4 wheels same for the spare.
and they all have the same tire pressure.
If you think the noise is coming from the front then it probably is.
If you have any doubts slide under the truck yourself, with the wheels blocked so it wont roll oan a flat surface and with the trans in neutral see if you can detect any play in any of the front or rear universal joints, also another key is to look for orange dust next to the U joint seals this indicates metal is being ground up and when it gets wet it turns to rust Hence the orange dust, report back

Old 03-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Drifting
Default Hmm

The noise is definitely in the front of the truck - even when she is idling. when i start her up, she's loud...she sounds like a diesel truck. i secretly like it, but i get a headache after driving her around for a bit. Cabin noise is very loud.

So you think the rear tires could be contributing though? That's so interesting...

It's been a while since i've gotten under the hood of a car. I'll let you know what I find!

Old 03-05-2010, 01:36 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you're getting a loud noise from the front at idle you may have some serious problems. maybe use your cell phone to record video with sound and post on here, open hood and stand next to engine while recording.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

dont use a cell phone use a digital camera, post it to youtube and post the link here.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:38 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default be careful

Ok so just spoke to the dealer and to an indie mechanic.

The indie mechanic is quoting me $500 for the drive shaft.
DO NOT GET A NEW ROVER DS FROM THE DEALER OR MECHANIC. The one they sell you will NOT be serviceable and you'll eventually have the same issues you're now experiencing. Check out Tom Woods or Great Basin Rovers if you want a new DS, or you can also have yours rebuilt with greasable U-Joints, plenty of threads with links to the correct parts and tools needed.

....sorry for yelling

Quick Reply: 2004 Discovery - Loud Rumbly Engine