Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Discovery overheating

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 09:50 AM
Mudding
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Just pressure tested it. PSI held constant for a good while so no leaks. Refilled the coolant tank by raising it above the engine with the bleed screw out. Filled until I had a constant steam coming out of the bleed hole with no bubbles. Engine is now up to operating temp and seems to be holding, however I have no heat out of the vents.. I tried to bleed more but nothing but coolant comes out.

Old 12-07-2019, 09:55 AM
Mudding

Coolant level also seems to be holding steady, as expected with the pressure test.

Old 12-07-2019, 10:03 AM
Mudding

Update: when for a drive around the block and felt a thump from under the hood. After that heat started pouring out the vents. Temps stayed constant. I believe I’m all good. Any other advice?

Old 12-07-2019, 10:26 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Yes, Next time it is stone cold open the bleed screw and see if the air bubble landed there, if there is any room at all there add coolant directly through the bleed hole with a funnel until there is no more room. You may need to do this a few mornings in a row.

Old 12-07-2019, 10:32 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Dave03S
Yes, Next time it is stone cold open the bleed screw and see if the air bubble landed there, if there is any room at all there add coolant directly through the bleed hole with a funnel until there is no more room. You may need to do this a few mornings in a row.
sounds good, will do. I’ll report back if I have any more problems. Fingers crossed...

Old 12-07-2019, 09:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Yes, you’ll have to bleed again. If you didn’t ha e heat at some point it mean me you still have air in the system. The bleeds are seldom one and done.

Old 12-07-2019, 09:59 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Frank4
Yes, you’ll have to bleed again. If you didn’t ha e heat at some point it mean me you still have air in the system. The bleeds are seldom one and done.
What is the exact technique on bleeding discos? Trying to figure out these disco’s... I’ve read engine off/engine on/engine warm/engine cold/etc. Any different than the procedure I did to fill it?

Old 12-08-2019, 12:14 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

I tried searching to point you to one of the many threads on here about that but search brought up a bunch of old stuff, finally found a recent post with the correct info.

As copied from a previous post:

1. Starting with a stone cold engine, usually first thing in the morning.
2. Unclip coolant expansion tank.
3. Unclip top radiator hose from clips in fan shroud.
4. Open bleed screw.
5. Remove expansion tank cap.
6. Hold expansion tank about 6 inches in the air.
7. Pour coolant mixture into expansion tank.
8. Wait for bubble-free stream to run out.
9. Once it does, replace bleed screw.
10. Refit expansion tank cap.
11. Re-clip expansion tank.
12. Re-clip upper radiator hose.

The only thing I would add is the part about opening the bleed screw again on the next few cold mornings and continue to top off. You will know when you no longer need to do this.

A cool advanced method I saw was a brass T that fit into the bleed screw hole with a clear hose attached. This both allowed you to see the bubbles coming out and not make a big mess with the coolant spewing out the bleed hole.

There is some other disco juju magic online about parking uphill etc, I'll just say that there is value to that in a stubborn situation as you ultimately want air to rise to the highest point which when parked uphill would be the bleed screw. This refers to parking uphill at night then opening the bleed screw in the morning when the engine is stone cold.

Credit to Brandon318

Last edited by Dave03S; 12-08-2019 at 12:27 AM.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:27 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Dave03S
I tried searching to point you to one of the many threads on here about that but search brought up a bunch of old stuff, finally found a recent post with the correct info.

As copied from a previous post:

1. Starting with a stone cold engine, usually first thing in the morning.
2. Unclip coolant expansion tank.
3. Unclip top radiator hose from clips in fan shroud.
4. Open bleed screw.
5. Remove expansion tank cap.
6. Hold expansion tank about 6 inches in the air.
7. Pour coolant mixture into expansion tank.
8. Wait for bubble-free stream to run out.
9. Once it does, replace bleed screw.
10. Refit expansion tank cap.
11. Re-clip expansion tank.
12. Re-clip upper radiator hose.

The only thing I would add is the part about opening the bleed screw again on the next few cold mornings and continue to top off. You will know when you no longer need to do this.

A cool advanced method I saw was a brass T that fit into the bleed screw hole with a clear hose attached. This both allowed you to see the bubbles coming out and not make a big mess with the coolant spewing out the bleed hole.
Right on, thanks for the info. Now I have something solid to go off of and looks like I’ve been doing it correctly. Appreciate it! Hopefully others wondering about bleed process can refer here.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:09 PM
Mudding

Just wanted to add my little technique of raising the coolant tank in case anyone is following the thread with same issue. I’ve also heard you can set it on the battery box, but I don’t have a battery box. Used a bungee cord to holes in the hood and there we go. Be sure to not yank on your coolant hose too much though.

The following 2 users liked this post by Disco Aaron:
Richard Gallant (12-10-2019), Sixpack577 (12-09-2019)