Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help. Having some heating issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 01:14 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help. Having some heating issues

I have an 03 Land Rover Discovery SE7. At idle the car will not blow hot air. The air was cold so I checked the coolant level and I noticed it was low. I added some coolant, but was not sure where to top it off at. I just recently purchased the car with no owners manual. Any suggestions on where the fill line is as I do not want to over fill the tank. I also tried bleeding the system which didn't help much at all either. However, if I drive the car over 30mph the heat kicks in. Please help!!!
Thanks

Old 12-05-2009, 01:30 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You need to pull the expansion tank out of it's clips and raise it up on the battery compartment and then bleed it. As long as the engine is cool you can run it for a few minutes with the cap off and add coolant (with the tank raised). Fill it to the level marked on the tank. Also don't mix coolant type, if you have dexcool add dexcool. Your heater could also be blocked if you have added any stop leak or mixed coolant types. In that case you need to flush your radiator, engine and heater core.

Also look for your coolant leak. Does your car smoke or misfire in the mornings? Can you see a leak? Add some coolant dye to help or go get a pressure test. Keep any eye on the level.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:39 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by lipadj46
You need to pull the expansion tank out of it's clips and raise it up on the battery compartment and then bleed it. As long as the engine is cool you can run it for a few minutes with the cap off and add coolant (with the tank raised). Fill it to the level marked on the tank. Also don't mix coolant type, if you have dexcool add dexcool. Your heater could also be blocked if you have added any stop leak or mixed coolant types. In that case you need to flush your radiator, engine and heater core.

Also look for your coolant leak. Does your car smoke or misfire in the mornings? Can you see a leak? Add some coolant dye to help or go get a pressure test. Keep any eye on the level.

Thanks for the response. My buddy picked up Peak coolant which is already mixed 50/50. He said the guy at the shop said this was work as it was universal coolant. Is that not the case? The bottle says its for all vehicles and coolant color.

So bleeding the system which the truck is running and expansion tank open is not a good way to do so? Do you think the thermostat needs to be replaced?

Old 12-05-2009, 01:49 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slp0313
Thanks for the response. My buddy picked up Peak coolant which is already mixed 50/50. He said the guy at the shop said this was work as it was universal coolant. Is that not the case? The bottle says its for all vehicles and coolant color.

So bleeding the system which the truck is running and expansion tank open is not a good way to do so? Do you think the thermostat needs to be replaced?
It is usually not a good idea to mix green coolant with dexcool though I know the bottles of the universal coolant says it is OK.

Look through the "How To's" sticky on how to bleed properly. One key step is to raise the tank up onto the battery compartment then open the bleeder screw and add coolant until it comes out the bleed hole. Close the bleeder, top off the tank, then I usually run the truck for a few minutes with the cap off and top off as needed. Then I put everything back together go for a ride to get the coolant to temp then let it cool and top off and top off. Then check every day for 3 days and top off as needed. Raising the tank and using the bleed screw is key.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Do not mix the Peak coolant with Dexcool. Also, only bleed the engine when cold, with the engine off. Have you ever bled a coolant system before?
Once bled, you need to go have your coolant system pressure tested to find the leak that caused this problem and fix it before you toast your engine.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:16 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Do not mix the Peak coolant with Dexcool. Also, only bleed the engine when cold, with the engine off. Have you ever bled a coolant system before?
Once bled, you need to go have your coolant system pressure tested to find the leak that caused this problem and fix it before you toast your engine.
Yeah, I've bleed coolant systems on BMWs and figured this was similar since it had the bleeder screw system. The coolant is already mixed with the any color coolant type because the guy at the parts store said it was ok to do so. I bleed the system while running the engine to operating temperature. It looks like I got all the air out and the heat is now working. Checked the car about 2 hours later and saw the expansion tank was a little low so I topped it off with coolant and called it a day.

Was any of this right?

Old 12-06-2009, 09:21 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes that is right.
But you have a leak and you will need to find it.
The problem with DexCool and other coolants is that they are not compatible.
But you will take it to a shop on Mon and have them find the leak, and when they fix it have them flush the cooling system too.
Here is some reading for you.
http://sancarlosradiator.com/dex-cool.htm
I used to sell bulk coolant and all of this is true.
Even GM Goodrich mechanics recommend that once your car is out of warranty to dump the DexCool.