Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Discovery PAS fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 01:52 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Discovery PAS fluid

I an rebuilding a neglected d2 se7 and adding a new, used pas pump. I want to flush the rest of the fluid and add new, but there is some question as to what I can use. Is the cold climate the"best" thing to use or is dex 2/3 or something else better or just as good. I'm not even sure that this disco will run when I'm done so I don't want to spend a bunch of money on fluid, but if it does I want the right stuff.
Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks

Old 08-26-2014, 03:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 212 Likes on 139 Posts

I have heard to stay safe stick with the OEM fluid to ensure all the fluid has all the correct additives. I do believe others are running fluid that matches the OE specs without issue.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Use the cheep stuff to flush. No need to pour your money through the system.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:43 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

if your gonna update the pump then might as well do the hoses because they will start to break down soon, especially if low quality brake fluid has been used over a long period of time. Land Rover PS/ACE fluid is supposedly specifically formulated specifically for these power steering systems and does have all the extra additives to prolong the life of the PS system. If it makes you feel better my ps pump is failing to and Im gonna have to dish out $800 to replace the pump, reservoir and hoses. By the way Im told that the reservoir has a built in filter that wears out over time, you may want to look into that and determine if its time to replace with a new reservoir.

Cheers and good luck. I always find it funny how people have similar problems around the same time. My PS system needs service, yours does and I bet someone else on here is about ready to work on their PS system must be a Land Rover thing.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I've been running cheap PS fluid in mine with no issues. If I had ACE I'd be concerned but the steering box on these trucks is very old school and the pump is nothing very sophisticated either. I think my 70 Nova ran a more high tech setup! I may swap it out for synthetic tranny fluid at some point but I'm in no hurry. I've read plenty of posts where people have used the cheapest PS fluid they could find for 50k+ miles with no issues.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
if your gonna update the pump then might as well do the hoses because they will start to break down soon, especially if low quality brake fluid has been used over a long period of time. Land Rover PS/ACE fluid is supposedly specifically formulated specifically for these power steering systems and does have all the extra additives to prolong the life of the PS system. If it makes you feel better my ps pump is failing to and Im gonna have to dish out $800 to replace the pump, reservoir and hoses. By the way Im told that the reservoir has a built in filter that wears out over time, you may want to look into that and determine if its time to replace with a new reservoir.

Cheers and good luck. I always find it funny how people have similar problems around the same time. My PS system needs service, yours does and I bet someone else on here is about ready to work on their PS system must be a Land Rover thing.
Are you paying for labor? It shouldn't cost that much.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:23 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Old 08-27-2014, 01:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 08-27-2014, 05:36 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

i have ACE flushed it with cheap fluid two years ago no problems yet

Old 08-27-2014, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

same here on cheap fluid.....I think lucas was on sale when I did mine.

and Tri, $400 for a pump is crazy. that is more than all of that stuff should cost
get the "preferred" all makes one.
get best deal on hoses from fleabay
get a res from a wrecker ...clean it up....or clean yours up.

Quick Reply: 2004 Discovery PAS fluid