Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Land Rover discovery overheating no coolant leaks

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2021, 12:16 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Land Rover discovery overheating no coolant leaks

I have a 2004 Land Rover discovery I have bled the coolant system multiple times however there is still an air pocket somewhere? It will overheat When I am at idle, I have to turn the heat on in order for it to stop overheating could it be a fuse for a fan that’s not turning on when it’s getting hot? I also replaced the radiator about two years ago could it be a clogged radiator? Please point me in the right directions to diagnose this problem I also have a little bit of sloshing coming from my dashboard. last week I also replaced the heater plate on my throttlebody that was leaking i’m sorry if I posted this to the wrong thread I am new to this forum thank you!

Old 02-14-2021, 01:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

could feel the hoses as the truck warms up to see where the circulation is and isn't- especially the thermostat housing.The electric fan is not needed during normal operation,but may come on if coolant temp high.

Old 02-14-2021, 02:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 261 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Dpino456
I have a 2004 Land Rover discovery I have bled the coolant system multiple times however there is still an air pocket somewhere? It will overheat When I am at idle, I have to turn the heat on in order for it to stop overheating could it be a fuse for a fan that’s not turning on when it’s getting hot? I also replaced the radiator about two years ago could it be a clogged radiator? Please point me in the right directions to diagnose this problem I also have a little bit of sloshing coming from my dashboard. last week I also replaced the heater plate on my throttlebody that was leaking i’m sorry if I posted this to the wrong thread I am new to this forum thank you!
how are you reading the overheat condition? with the dash gauge or with an aftermarket OBD2 reader?

the dash gauge is pretty useless as it has three basic positions, Cold, Operating temperature, and WAY TOO HOT.

Old 02-14-2021, 05:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,504 Likes on 1,067 Posts

How long does it take to get hot? Does it overheat in all conditions? Most common issue is malfunctioning thermostat. With the inline thermostat mod you can remove the thermostat temporarily, allowing coolant to circulate freely. If it still overheats them, it is probably a clogged radiator. Characteristic of clogged radiator is substantially higher temperature on the inlet side vs outlet side of radiator. IR temp gun is a big help to troubleshooting.

The following users liked this post:
DiscoID (02-14-2021)