Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 TD5 - HandBrake/TC/HDC lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 11:15 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 TD5 - HandBrake/TC/HDC lights

Hi.

So I've been searching the forums, and obviously found a lot of threads about the 'three amigos' - however, I think I might have a different problem - I have HAND BRAKE / Traction Control / Hill Descent Control lights on (no ABS). Has anyone encountered a similar warning light combination and could possibly point me in the right direction? Could this be simply because one of the sensors is dirty? I got thoroughly stuck in the mud recently - had it thoroughly cleaned around the wheels with a jet hose, but the lights won't go away...

Many thanks in advance!

Old 12-17-2014, 10:57 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brake light?

That red BRAKE light turns on if you pull the hand brake OR if you are low on brake fluid.

Typically all three lights (ABS/HDC/TC) turn on since they all use the same sensors and modulator. It's very odd not to have ABS light trip, unless maybe the ABS system is turned off or something bizarre? A OBDII reader won't help you, but a dealer computer would be able to check it out better. I'm not endorsing using a stealership though.

Try unplugging one of the wheel speed sensors and see what happens. you can find either back wheel one easily (mounted on the wheel well by the spring), but I would try unplugging the front right one, found under the hood in between the fuse box and the dash. See picture. See if that kicks on the ABS light.

Or maybe the ABS light behind the dash is blown. :P

Good luck!

Attached Thumbnails 2004 TD5 - HandBrake/TC/HDC lights-screen-shot-2014-12-17-11.55.20-am.png  
Old 12-17-2014, 12:54 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for getting back to me, much appreciated. the abs light comes on when i first turn the ignition, but goes off when i start the engine, so im guessing the abs is fine? i've checked brake fluid levels as you suggested - they seem fine. i also thought it could be related to the handbrake switch, but before i start the engine the handbrake light goes on and off when i take the handbrake on/off. very unusual. i suppose i'll have to take it to a dealer for a diagnosis, but reluctant to do so!

Old 12-17-2014, 01:36 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Abs

Good. The ABS light should turn on before you crank, along with the Check Engine and certain others. It's so then you can tell if the bulb is out or removed. (Think of this next time you shop for a used car) The BRAKE light probably has to do with the fluid level, still. Try taking off the cap, and holding the floater all the way up. If that doesn't work, take a look to make sure the wires from the cap are not loose or disconnected. If I recall, unplugging the cap (or otherwise breaking the circuit) will produce a BRAKE light.

I still have no real ideas about the "two" amigos. You should paw through a RAVE manual if you haven't already. Maybe it has something.

Post on the forums to see if someone near you has a computer that can pull those codes. Or drop $500-$600 if you really resent the dealer. That reader might be used in the future...

Old 12-25-2014, 04:49 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by KinverTurtle
Good. The ABS light should turn on before you crank, along with the Check Engine and certain others. It's so then you can tell if the bulb is out or removed. (Think of this next time you shop for a used car) The BRAKE light probably has to do with the fluid level, still. Try taking off the cap, and holding the floater all the way up. If that doesn't work, take a look to make sure the wires from the cap are not loose or disconnected. If I recall, unplugging the cap (or otherwise breaking the circuit) will produce a BRAKE light.

I still have no real ideas about the "two" amigos. You should paw through a RAVE manual if you haven't already. Maybe it has something.

Post on the forums to see if someone near you has a computer that can pull those codes. Or drop $500-$600 if you really resent the dealer. That reader might be used in the future...
X1 Sometimes the level sensor in the brake fluid cap is duff and it brings on the brake alarm lamp. Check it out with a mutimeter and with the ignition on.

As with KT, don't understand where the 'two' amigos are coming from.