Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

24 spline vs 29

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by llesra
i had a salisbury (like a Dana 60) out of a D110 in the rear of my disco. that thing was overkill. nothing wrong with overkill!
It is when it's painted orange.

LOL j/k

Old 08-24-2009, 02:05 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The orange just really makes a statement that it's not the normal Disco axle. I wouldn't put it on my green truck but I like the orange diff cover.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:16 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Jeep axles are weak overall, and you don't tell the strength of it by the spline count byt the design of the axle and the alloy used in making the axle.
Overall, our diffs are stronger then most jeep diffs with the exception of their Dana 44 when rebuilt with after market parts.
So, pass that back to your jeep buddy.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Jeep axles are weak overall, and you don't tell the strength of it by the spline count byt the design of the axle and the alloy used in making the axle.
Overall, our diffs are stronger then most jeep diffs with the exception of their Dana 44 when rebuilt with after market parts.
So, pass that back to your jeep buddy.
and then cup-check him for drivin a jeep

Old 08-24-2009, 03:08 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pwn777
My thoughts exactly, just needed a second opinion. I have gone offroading with him, he got stuck on a steep hill and i had to tow him up the entire thing. He still thinks the Jeep Cherokee is better. I say nay. haha
You conviently forgot to mention that my green XJ is 2wd, and that I was not stuck when we attached the tow straps.

But that's beside the point

There really isn't a comparison between our axles, the reason being that their application is completely different. Your axles are built stronger for a heavier vehicle. Mine are built to handle exactly what they're under. A cheap unibody chrysler SUV. You have a more solid axle design with a smaller spline count. I have a cheaper axle design with a larger spline count.

Yes, some XJs from the 80s, specifically wagoneers came with Dana 44s, and some of the newer JK wranglers today come with Dana 44s, and Dana 60 axles. Unfortunately, my XJ has a Dana 35 our back, featuring a small neck down and a 27 spline count. The red XJ features a Chrysler 8.25 rear axle, with a much larger neck down, and a 29 spline count. The front Dana 30 will feature a 27 spline count.

Too bad you can never drive your Disco though otherwise maybe we'd actually have some results to compare!

All in good fun though

Last edited by tock172; 08-24-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:43 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AK Rover
Defender axles are the same as under a D1.
I was talking about say a D110 Salisbury axle.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:02 PM
Three Wheeling

thanks for the help everyone, i think i am proficient in axle knowledge now haha. And tock, were gonna go offroading again as soon as i get a new spare tire.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:06 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by lipadj46
I was talking about say a D110 Salisbury axle.
I forgot about the D110. You are correct, that is a totally different beast. I read Defender and I automatically think D90 considering they are so much more common, especially here in the states.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:09 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by tock172
You conviently forgot to mention that my green XJ is 2wd, and that I was not stuck when we attached the tow straps.

But that's beside the point

There really isn't a comparison between our axles, the reason being that their application is completely different. Your axles are built stronger for a heavier vehicle. Mine are built to handle exactly what they're under. A cheap unibody chrysler SUV. You have a more solid axle design with a smaller spline count. I have a cheaper axle design with a larger spline count.

Yes, some XJs from the 80s, specifically wagoneers came with Dana 44s, and some of the newer JK wranglers today come with Dana 44s, and Dana 60 axles. Unfortunately, my XJ has a Dana 35 our back, featuring a small neck down and a 27 spline count. The red XJ features a Chrysler 8.25 rear axle, with a much larger neck down, and a 29 spline count. The front Dana 30 will feature a 27 spline count.

Too bad you can never drive your Disco though otherwise maybe we'd actually have some results to compare!

All in good fun though
How is comparing axles under 2 4 door SUVs not a valid comparison. The Discovery is the closest thing in the Rover line up to compare to a Cherokee.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:52 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by AK Rover
How is comparing axles under 2 4 door SUVs not a valid comparison. The Discovery is the closest thing in the Rover line up to compare to a Cherokee.
You can't compare an axle that was built for 6,000 lb vehicle with a v8, to an axle that was built for a 2800 to 3500 lb vehicle with a straight 6. The land rover axles are of course built stronger and better suited for the vehicles they are under, just like the Dana and Chrysler axles under Jeeps.

Quick Reply: 24 spline vs 29