Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2din aftermarket radio in a D2!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 09:09 AM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2din aftermarket radio in a D2!

Hi!

As per juke179r suggestion, I'm starting this new thread to go into the details on how to accomplish this upgrade. I'm putting together a pdf with most of the details, but in the meantime to start, lets talk budget:

I started from:

1. 2DIN (chinese) stereo with navigation and bluetooh. I picked one with the best average customer reviews in amazon. Comes with backup camera, so it was a plus. $160

2. Spare dashboard central console. I would highly recomend that you work on a spare and not in your original one, just in case something goes wrong with the craftmanship. If you are lucky and can get one from your preferred yard or u pull and pay, great. I wasn't, so got one in a very good shape on ebay for $45. You will need to do a lot of work on this frame, so if it is structurally sound (no cracks, broken trims, etc) it should be fine. Bondo will help anyway to make it nice!

3. This is important. If you want to keep the harness of the truck stock (it was one of my goals) you need a Metra 70-1786 hardness wiring harness. $8.77 in amazon. The so claimed compatible harness adapter has missing pins (all of them does, seems that metra thinks that steering wheel controls are not necessary), but will deal with that later. Also, if you have the alpine radio without navigation (high line according to the rave) you need to go through the stock amplifier, be sure then that whatever stereo you get, it has the pre-amp outputs (normally RCAs) and your metra or similar wiring adapter has the RCAs counterpart connectors. Again working towards keeping things stock.

4. If you want to have the USB port in the dash, like I did, you probably would want to use a panel mount USB (I used this
Amazon Amazon
). The shorter the better, there wiill be limitted space to accomodate the excess cabling)~$10.

5. I also got another that fits exactly the hole for the cigarette lighter, that has also an aux in. Here,
Amazon Amazon
. $9.49

6. Misc hardware (butt crimp connectors, 2 wire plugs, etc), sand paper, black paint (semi-gloss and compatible with plastic, don't go with automotive), bondo, black foamy cardboard from dollar tree (I used a couple few small pieces, so taking some from your kids stock should be fine) and time, patience and consistent work. Total here, not including labor: ~$50 or less.

So, overall this was a ~$280 project. If you also want to go with measuring the temperature, pressure, humidity, etc, this is an additional $60 and a bit more work. Some electronic skills recommended but not mandatory.

More to come!

Just an additional comment. If you end up buying a chinese radio, be patient and don't get into rrrrr... mode. Expect the instructions to be almost non existent or not for quite the model that you got, the customer service to be not very helpful (even useless) and some language barrier, and be prepared to read a lot and do research by yourself. Fortunately, despite some look and feel and packaging differences, the wiring and functionality in all the brands are almost the same, I went down the path and maybe I can help.

This whole project started becuse i wanted to have the Moab trail map on the gps without a bunch of devices protuding or hanging everywhere in the truck, and in particular falling into the pit of doom while going down the secret spire trail.

Attached Images  

Last edited by lrdb01; 05-12-2018 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Missing sentence
The following 2 users liked this post by lrdb01:
JUKE179r (05-12-2018), No Doubt (05-13-2018)
Old 05-12-2018, 09:13 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 846 Likes on 633 Posts

Thanks for the info!
I'm looking at adding a 2Din stereo head. First I have to acquire the '03/'04 Disco 2 dash console since there is more room due to not having the crappy fold out cup holders.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:21 AM
Drifting

BTW, if you want to keep your coin tray, get also that piece with the drawers and the crappy cup holders. You will need part of it.

Old 05-12-2018, 05:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Is the wiring for the climate control long enough to relocate easy?

Old 05-12-2018, 06:08 PM
Drifting

Yes. That is affirmative! It is not long to make loops, but enough to dangle even after the relocation.

Old 05-12-2018, 06:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 846 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by lrdb01
1. 2DIN (chinese) stereo with navigation and bluetooh. I picked one with the best average customer reviews in amazon. Comes with backup camera, so it was a plus. $160
What brand, model and size did you get for the stereo?

Old 05-12-2018, 08:21 PM
Drifting

I got this one

Amazon Amazon

but some how the actual link that I used is not available any more. Lots of fake reviews on this link!!

But if I will do it again will go with this:

Amazon Amazon

Seems more compact, and a bit more of space will make things a bit easier.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:22 PM
Drifting

Working on the PDF with the notes. Will post soon!

Old 05-12-2018, 08:23 PM
Mudding
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I really like how this looks! I just have to fix literally everything else before I get around to this. .

Old 05-13-2018, 12:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by lrdb01

But if I will do it again will go with this:

https://www.amazon.com/Included-Navi...29MMHK93RXF0CY

Seems more compact, and a bit more of space will make things a bit easier.
That's the one I installed. By the way, you did a great job. Love your clean look.

Quick Reply: 2din aftermarket radio in a D2!