Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2inch spacers??????

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009 | 09:04 PM
|
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JBeezy53
Tell me how they work out? I was going to get them but I figured my 96 would be too sloppy with the 160k springs.
You have an extra 100k miles on those springs over mine. I def wouldn't do it in YOUR situation. But regardless I will reply and let u all know how my ride feels. I'm not gonna lose anything but time.

So if I don't like them, then maybe one of our members will want them.

Old 03-20-2009 | 09:48 PM
TReK

Sounds like a lot of work for something temporary. I just did my OME suspension and even though it wasn't difficult it's not something I would want to be doing again in 10-15K miles.

Old 04-30-2009 | 03:26 PM
|
Super Moderator
Default I installed them

http://picasaweb.google.com/jycsalas/SpacerInstall#

Don't point and laugh....but....

I thought it was gonna be easier than installing a full set of springs and shocks and I don't know if it was because I work alone but it took a long time to install and I could have just swapped everything for a nice OME/RTE set while attempting this...

Anyway... The only difference in ride quality is that it is a little stiffer. No "top-heavy" sway though. I love the height and the way she sits now. I think I am limited in articulation now that my rear shocks are extended about 2 inches and going over speed bumps too fast can hit the rear lower transverse linkage or as RTE dubbed it,"watts linkage" as you can see I only have 1 inch or so of travel before it hits.

These were given to me free so that's why I even bothered with them. I don't know if I would recommend them with a stock set-up. If I had to buy these, and longer rear shocks, and the "watts linkage" I would just wait til i can afford an OME/RTE setup.

Like AK Rover said, it IS a lot of work. I will be getting rid of these as soon as I can afford a real set some OME shocks and springs.

If you don't have the money for a 2inch lift for a set of springs and shocks, SAVE up until you can afford it. You'll be happier in the end.

Thanks everyone...

PS...I can see these work well for the Discovery owner who NEVER takes his off-road and just wants the "look" of the 2inch lift. I'd probably leave them on if I never took my Disco off-road...

Old 04-30-2009 | 03:39 PM
Winching

I'm getting ready to do this on my truck as well. I need tires and this will allow me to go ahead and go up in tire size without rubbing. I'm planning to do the RTE springs and OME shocks over the summer, but this should work for now. Glad to see/hear that your truck still drives well with them on there, I've an '04 with 56k on it so we're about the same equipment-wise. Thanks for posting up and for taking pics! About how many hours did it take you to do the install?

Also, please post back after you've taken her off-road to let us know how it went!

Old 04-30-2009 | 03:47 PM
|
Super Moderator

Yeah you have nicer roof rack bars and possibly no oil pump issues! but we both have CDL ... yay! (which is most important)

I will be working on a 95 RRC, the 04 Discovery that's in the back ground of the last pic, and a 97 DI in the next few weekends so me going off road may not be for a month or so... (bummer)

I'll try and find some spots where I can test out the articulation as that is my main concern...

Old 04-30-2009 | 04:11 PM
TReK

most off-road guys don't like spacers because they load/unload your stock shocks at a point they were not designed for.

Old 04-30-2009 | 04:57 PM
Winching

Yes, I intend to make it as short-term a fix as possible. I just really couldn't handle the outlay for tires and a proper lift right now! I expect to have RTE springs and OME shocks on the truck within 6 weeks or so.

Old 05-20-2009 | 09:34 AM
|
Super Moderator

The spacers I have are now for sale. Check the classifieds section.

Old 05-21-2009 | 08:40 AM
Mudding

I've got the RTE SLS spacers in the back. They work fine (probably not ideal), I like the air bags for towing and hauling heavy loads so I didn't want to take them out. I've got the rear springs so I figure I'll keep the air bags in there and then when I break them, I put the springs in. Done.

Brian