Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.9 engine dies after engine warms up with injectors wide open

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 12:32 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.9 engine dies after engine warms up with injectors wide open

I have a 3.9 engine that has not run for the last 7 months. The engine starts fine, then within 10 to 12 minutes it starts backfiring, and then dies. Once it has died, the car will not start for at least 20 to 30 minutes. The mechanic says the injectors are wide open when the engine dies, esentially flooding the car. I am so frustrated with this car, I would really love to get to drive it. So far the mechanic has replaced the entire fuel injection system (except the fuel temp sensor), the maf, coil, distributor, new wires and it still dies. The mechanic thought the issue could be with the alternator, and had that tested. It was okay. Now the mechanic suggests I buy a new computer, since he says only the computer will tell the fuel injection to open the injectors wide open. Has anyone out there had a similar issue? If so how did you resolve it. This is a 94 discovery engine put into a 110, and there is no place to read the codes. Is there a way to "add" an interface to the computer? I should mention that I burned up the wiring harness last year, and the car spent the end of last year being re-wired. I replaced quite a few parts when the wiring was redone, but not the computer.

Any suggestions are so GREATLY appreciated.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:37 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: 3.9 engine dies after engine warms up with injectors wide open

Your mechanic needs to stop throwing parts at it, sounds like a little inexperienced when it comes to Rovers.
First of all, the engines injectors are running nearly wide open because it is in open loop while starting cold and trying to warm up.
Have you taken the old gas out of the tank and replaced with new, have you replace the fuel filter, have you checked the fuel pressure both at idle and at 2000 RPM's both when cold and at operating temp.? Will the engine run if you spray carb cleaner into the t/body?

Old 03-26-2008, 09:30 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3.9 engine dies after engine warms up with injectors wide open

Thank you so very much for taking the time to answer my plea for help. You are correct this mechanic does not work on rovers very often. In fact the closest rover mechanic is in Denver. So far I have replaced the fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel pump, fuel filter, throttle pressure sensor, stepping something or other, and the lines on the fuel rail. A compression test was done on each injector and came back good after they replaced two injectors and new rings, new distrubutor, new coil, new cables, new maf. This last go round the mechanic thought I had bad gas so he dropped the tank, emptied the gas, new fuel filter, new fuel pump, and the new throttle pressure sensor. The mechanic has put the fuel pressure sensor at several places and says everything is doing what it should and then all of the sudden the injectors go wide open after 10 to 15 minutes, the engine floods, and the car will not restart for 15 to 20 minutes. This is a 1994 engine. I just love this car and would so LOVE to get and drive it. The mechanic is just the nicest gentleman and readily admits he does not know what is wrong. He has also removed the alternator and had it tested. It came back just fine. Any suggestions or ideas would be so appreciated. If you have time for a chat with any ideas please call me at 406-461-9760.

Julia