Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 Amigo help

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 10:53 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 Amigo help

Ok guys, I need some help. I had the dreaded 3 Amigos for some time, so this weekend I thought I would try the bypass - option B. I took the modulator off and pulled the switch. When I pulled the switch it was covered in ps fluid. Once I had the switch out, one the eclips to a valve was laying in the switch. It had broken in half. I new this was my problem. I ran to Home Depot and was able to find a clip to fit (and bought a new hex screw since I stripped it while trying to remove the switch without take off the modulator). I did the bypass and bled the brake. Started the truck and our three friends were gone. I might have driven it 30 miles since the bypass.

Today, I move the truck. The brakes seemed a bit squishy, so I decided to bleed the brakes again. Now they seemed stiff. But to ensure I got all the air out, I activated the hill descend first while in high and it would not blink and chime. The yellow light with the exclamation point showed up instead. Then I decided to put the truck in low gear and see if I could get the hill descend to engage. This time the red brake light appeared. I drove the truck home and as I pulled in the driveway, the 3 amigos reappeared. I then disconnected the bypass, started the truck and turned it off. I then reconnected, thinking that it may reset it (for whatever reason). Any thoughts on what may be going on? I just order the valve replacement kit (o-rings and clips only). I do not have a scan tool to pull the codes. Any help is appreciated.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm pretty sure HDC doesn't work unless you're in low range.

Get a way to read the codes. Borrow one from someone locally, rent one (I think people still do that) or just break down n' buy the abs amigo. Otherwise you can chase your tail throwing money at the problem when it may be just a single wheel sensor going flaky.

Here's an ABS Amigo for sale right now:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/pr...shipped-65714/

Dave

Old 03-11-2014, 07:11 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

there was a scan tool in the fore sale section

Old 03-11-2014, 11:15 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Ghaniba
I'm pretty sure HDC doesn't work unless you're in low range.

Get a way to read the codes. Borrow one from someone locally, rent one (I think people still do that) or just break down n' buy the abs amigo. Otherwise you can chase your tail throwing money at the problem when it may be just a single wheel sensor going flaky.

Here's an ABS Amigo for sale right now:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/pr...shipped-65714/

Dave
Thanks for your reply, Dave. I agree that HDC doesn't work unless you are in low gear. I did put in low gear. I'm not sure what would cause the 3 amigos to return after re-bleeding the lines. First bleeding and mod - no lights. 2nd day, brakes are mushy, re-bled (lots of air), 3 amigos returned. My concern is that I now have a hard fault. I guess it's possible that the new retaining clip did not hold since I had to modify it a bit to work and it worked loose during the most recent bleeding.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:27 AM
2nd Gear
Default Abs freelander 3 amegos

look at my thread comes under abs last resort iv put my own abs light in and blanked off the abs light with duck tape cost me £15

Old 03-11-2014, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

brother, you need a code reader.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:28 PM
Three Wheeling

I would guess that you performed the ground bypass correctly since it's not difficult to do (solder ALL wire cnnections, insure good ground tie, etc.) However, since you mentioned broken clips and brake fluid flooding your shuttle valves switches. Your shuttle valves are clearly not sealing correctly which leads me to believe that they may not be rating correctly either. Even though bleeding the system is a pain, I would dismantle the modulator completely and ensure you're shuttle valves are not toast.
IMO, stay away from the ABS AMIGO device... it's a patch, not a fix.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:52 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

"stay away from the ABS AMIGO device... it's a patch, not a fix."

how would you suggest he gets his ABS codes, without using something like an AMIGO. because right now hes just pissing in the wind without codes

Old 03-11-2014, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

agree. how is a scanner that plugs into your truck and gives you needed info to repair your problem "a patch"?

Old 03-11-2014, 02:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoJ
I would guess that you performed the ground bypass correctly since it's not difficult to do (solder ALL wire cnnections, insure good ground tie, etc.) However, since you mentioned broken clips and brake fluid flooding your shuttle valves switches. Your shuttle valves are clearly not sealing correctly which leads me to believe that they may not be rating correctly either. Even though bleeding the system is a pain, I would dismantle the modulator completely and ensure you're shuttle valves are not toast.
IMO, stay away from the ABS AMIGO device... it's a patch, not a fix.
WTF are you talking about?

Quick Reply: 3 Amigo help