Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 amigos, bad abs brake modulator

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 10:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 amigos, bad abs brake modulator

Vehical: 2000 Discovery II, 135,000 miles

The 3 amigo's lit up the other day. I took it it to a european autorepair shop, to have have the codes read and tell me what's wrong. They came up with a bad right front wheel speed sensor is bad. So I had them order it and today they installed it. But after a test ride the lights came back on. They told me the abs brake modulator is bad. They are going to check around for a used one for me. I think a new one is $2200. I have noticed the front pads squell lately when slowing almost to a stop. Could this squelling be triggering the lights? I don't want to pay big bucks on a modulator if I don't have to. I did a brake check in the snow with the lights on and the ABS did still work. The TC did not though. I changed brake fluid about 10,000 miles ago with valvoline synthetic. Brakes rotors were changed about 20,000 miles ago with factory LR, pads are Hawk HPS.

thank you,
Willie

Old 04-23-2008, 06:41 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 3 amigos, bad abs brake modulator

Get the old wheel sensor and get out of there.

They sound like they want to just put parts on it until its fixed or you are out of money.

I would say they don't work on many LR's.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:43 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Do your brakes squeak? If you hit the brakes hard, can you feel the ABS pulsation come thru your brake pedal?
Don't do any more repairs till you answer this.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:36 PM
Rock Crawling

They do sqeak sometimes but only at very low speeds right before stopping. I don't feel any pulsating through the brake pedal, but I can hear it working and it does keep the wheels from locking up.

Willie

Old 04-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Three Wheeling

then its not your modulator ask them to see the computer they used to scan your disco with. if its not a T4 laptop computer tell them you want your old sensor and go find a dealership or a shop that has the T4. Most shops wont spend the money on one because they dont see many rovers and the computer is rather expensive.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:24 PM
Administrator

There are many readers that can scan Rovers ABS, it doesn't have to be a T4. When being read it is not unusual to see codes for sensors and control unit, that is why I asked him to go drive the truck again and hit the brakes hard to see if they still pulsate thru the brake pedal, so far he has done what I have asked, stating that he hears them.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Rock Crawling

I talked to the shop again and they said the computer say's themodulator is bad. They are going to get a genuine Land rovermodulator repair kit for about $100.

Willie

Old 04-23-2008, 07:41 PM
Administrator

You are not listening to us. Stop screwing with something neither you or your mechanics know anything about.
When will you do what I asked you??????????????????????
After 30 plus years as a service manager, believe me, I have a better idea what may be going on then your mechanic.
Go out and slam the brakes and let me know if the brake pedal still pulsates. If you are too lazy to do that then quit posting and blow your money on the kit your mechanic is talking about, which, by the way has less then a 40% success ratio. Even the new $800 kit doesn't give you a guaranted fix.
Your choice.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:32 PM
Rock Crawling

I was listening, as you can see in post #4, I answered your question.

Willie

Old 04-23-2008, 10:41 PM
Rock Crawling

I test drove it again this time on wet pavment, hit the brakes andI could feel pulsating through the pedal. I did this three times and got the same results. In the snow I did not feel it, probably because the wheels slip with less pedal pressure.

Thank you,
Willie

Quick Reply: 3 amigos, bad abs brake modulator