Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 amigos with delphi.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 08:27 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 amigos with delphi.

2000 SE7
I've ran into a few problems as of late.

First off the amigos.
New brakes all the way around, shuttle valve replaced and rewired which fixed one code but I'm still left with a DTC's 85 on the delphi which says "Rear left sensor -Signal erratic -Intermittent.
I've replaced the left wheel speed sensor and it cleared the code for about 30 feet then retriggered the code. I removed the new sensor and noticed the tip had been eaten a bit so I replaced the hub with new sensor, cleared the codes and still throws the 85. New sensor isn't showing any signs of wear on the new hub.
Traced the wires from the sensor to the slabs pin 7 and 8 with no signs of a break even with some very rigours pulling, shaking and twisting to see if there was a break in the connector at the wheel. No continuity loss.

With the delphi in real time data I'm see 2.2v at all four wheel speed sensors but a surge to 2.3 and 2.1 on the LHR sensor before it triggers the fault code again.

Side note: I'm only able to run real time data for a few minutes on the delphi before it loses vehicle connection, not sure if this is normal or not, if anyone has some insight on this feature working more than a few minutes that would be awesome!

The heater!
Rewired someone's toggle switch to the fan after replacing the fan relays which worked great for all of three days. Now when I turn the climate control on I lose voltage at fuse 7 but with the control off I have 12v. Go figure.
I've replaced the auto suspension with a 2 inch spring lift on all four corners (bags were shot) and I have the P1590? I forget the exact code but I believe this was it for the lack of auto leveling.

Help would be much appreciated!

Old 11-16-2015, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

I had that same issue not being able to see wheel speeds after a bit of driving. It might be a bug in the SLABS computer, I'm not sure.

There are replacement sensors that wire all the way back to the SLABS computer, bypassing any possible connectors that might have issues.

Also, there is a TSB for persistent sensor errors that recommends replacing the SLABS computer with the latest part number.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:01 AM
6th Gear

Thanks!
I've ordered a used slabs computer for a test run so I can at least pull the current one and do some poking around on it without losing use of the rover.
Hopefully that's the issue with the lights.

With some probing around this morning I've found that with the fan unhooked there isn't a voltage drop from the fuse panel but once the fan's plugged back up I lose all power again.
Fan can be straight wired and runs, so I'm guessing I'm losing power somewhere on the input of the fuse panel. I've looked through the RAVE I have but I'm not able to find any of the electrical diagrams for the panels main source of power and how it distributes it. Any ideas where an electrical diagram could be found?

Old 11-17-2015, 01:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts
The following users liked this post:
2000d2 (11-17-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 11:32 AM
6th Gear

New slabs installed, ran fine for the first 30 feet then threw all three lights again.
Code 85 pulled and 135 off the delphi at first, reset and the abs light doesn't go off after the lights cycle on the dash.
Drove out and the other lights came back up, only code 85 this time.

Thinking about running a test lead from the the left rear speed sensor to the slabs unit to see if that clears things up. Other than that I'm at a complete loss for what would be causing this.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:27 PM
6th Gear

I decided to see what code would set with unplugging the left rear sensor and to my amazement it showed up as left front.
So i proceeded to pull every other sensor one at a time and in order they threw codes as.
Left rear: Left front no signal
Left front: Right rear no signal
Right front: Left rear no signal
Right rear: No data available

No idea why it's reading each wheel incorrectly but after pulling every connector off and running through the process of reading and clearing it only popped the ABS and TC light on but stored no code. I hit clear codes anyways and both lights went off and the abs light toggles off with the rest of the dash lights on start up. Hopefully they stay off but I'll read the codes again after work if they come back on.

Old 11-20-2015, 05:30 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

good catch i hope it lasts

Old 11-20-2015, 10:27 PM
6th Gear

Threw another code 85 on the way to work yesterday so I ordered a front wheel speed sensor to stick on the right front since that seems to be where the delphi is misreading from.