Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 amigos -- GONE! Pics--may be slow to load.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 12:42 AM
KBW
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KBW
Where do you find that kit? I looked on several sites and couldn't find it. TIA
Bumped

Old 03-24-2009, 08:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Here's the link to the part, where the poster got his:

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/SWO500040G.cfm

Old 03-24-2009, 09:24 PM
KBW
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PalmettoDisco
Here's the link to the part, where the poster got his:

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/SWO500040G.cfm
OP said he did it for $150. That part is $769

Old 04-01-2009, 06:52 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

everyone writes about the 3 amigo problem. My dealer told me I have a valve sticking- $1200 to fix it on my 03, Why can't forum represent us and as a class action go after land rover to fix our 3 amigo problems? I believe this problem is unique to land rover and must be a flaw in their design AND THEY SHOULD BE RESPONSIBLE UNDER THE LEMMON LAW, Any comments?

Old 04-02-2009, 08:05 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by KBW
OP said he did it for $150. That part is $769
I followed the link a couple of weeks ago, and it took me to the correct repair part.. Now the link doesn't, and I can't find the part(s) anywhere.

Did they stop making them? Or did everyone stop selling them?

Old 04-17-2009, 10:55 AM
Drifting
Default Part

Sorry I haven't been checking in for a while, but the part is this:

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/SWO500030.cfm?bc=ab

Old 04-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

That $64 kit has been a total failure from when it came out 4 or 5 years ago only fixing less then 20% of the module issues. The only way to go is with thr more expensive valve replacement kit.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:24 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
That $64 kit has been a total failure from when it came out 4 or 5 years ago only fixing less then 20% of the module issues. The only way to go is with thr more expensive valve replacement kit.
The 20% success rate is worth the additional <10% cost if it doesn't work. If you ask me anyways.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Found this while doing some searching for info on Disco II brake modulators after reading this thread. According to this, the LR dealers offer a valve replacement now. Hope this helps. The entire link is here: http://www.robisonservice.com/articles/RonR_aug2006.asp

The next common fault in these systems is called shuttle valve failure.
The shuttle valve is a part of the brake modulator — that big thing in the location where a master cylinder would be. The modulator incorporates the functions of ABS servo and brake master cylinder into one unit.
If you have shuttle valve problems, you will see the three warning lights on the dash and there will be one or more stored faults for shuttle valve failure. Land Rover has a test procedure to determine if these faults result from a failure in the modulator or if they are caused by wiring troubles in the ABS harness or grounds. Unless you have corroded grounds and cables your trouble is probably in the modulator.

Until now, this problem was addressed by replacement of the brake modulator. That's a $1,500 part. As you can imagine, shuttle valve failure produced a lot of unhappy owners and Land Rover finally listened up and developed a fix.

As of March 2006, Land Rover sells a shuttle valve repair kit for under $100. You will have to remove the modulator and flip it over to install the valves on a workbench. Removal of the modulator, replacement of the valve, and refit to the vehicle takes 3 hours or so.

This shuttle valve repair is a huge improvement over the former method of addressing this problem.

The part number for the repair kit is SWO50030. If you buy it from a dealer you may also want to ask for the March 2006 bulletin that gives test and installation instructions.

Finally, you should check your Rover to see if the brake modulator recall was done. If it was, you should have a B148 sticker on the radiator support. All Discovery II models built before spring of 2003 are subject to the recall. Land Rover found the caps on the ABS modulator were cracking under heavy off-road use. They therefore came up with heavier replacements. The caps are a quick bolt on installation. If you are near a dealer they will do this for you at no charge. If you can't get to a dealer or you're outside the USA the part number for the kit is SWO500010K. Complete illustrated instructions can be found in the B148 recall bulletin, available from your dealer with the kit.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:13 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Chris,
That information is behind the times, Rovers first kit doesn't help much at all. somewhere around 20% on the short term. The onlt real repair is the $800 replacemnt.

Quick Reply: 3 amigos -- GONE! Pics--may be slow to load.